Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Toolpath from solids?

Rob B

It appears that my oper is losing the solids that it used to generate a toolpath.

If I create a toolpath, pick the solids that I need to do the toolpath everything is ok.

Then I move to a different file(part), then come back to the file that I done the solid toolpath. I then get the error that"TOOLPATH INPUT EDGES/FACES NOT FOUND)click OK, then next error appears "ERROR REAPPLYING OPER, REGN NOT COMPLETE."

Any idea whats up! This is the second part that was drawn and programed basically the same. The first one I don't have this problem with.

I did take the first drawing and modify some of the solid geometry to make the second part. They are the same part only different size.

I have uploaded both files to the ftp site. they are in the folder named:solids/rob.zip. There are two mc9 files in this zip file.

The file named part1.mc9 is the orginal part that I started with. Part2.mc9 is the part that was modified from the first file.

Basically the only difference is the length across the fin.

The way part2 is programed right now I have to go back and reapply the solids to the toolpath when I open this file, and I'm tired of having to do this.

My thought is my solids or the geo for the solids has problems.

Thanks

Rob

Solids are great...but you must be careful..it's easy to lose model geometry when copying, translating, rotating geometry etc....I constantly hit ALT-Y ....this is shortcut to solids manager where I look for red X this will tell me if my solid is or bad/corrupt.

Use your levels to your advantage, I have solid geometry and program geometry. Rarely do I use the geometry I used to create a solid with as "program geometry". I copy to a different level and use the copied geometry. An extra step but well worth it IMO.

Some where along the way you have some bad geometry.

HTH

For big ticket molds we avoid solid machining as occasionally a face will dissapear leaving a hard to explain hole. Convert to surfs and use time tested bulletproof multisurf machining if in doubt.

Take care to seperate or blank your solid creation geometry or at least do not modify it for your toolpath.

I have been experimenting creating associative geometry from the solid and then using that geometry for toolpaths hoping that if I unblank the solid creation geometry and modify it everything down the line will update.

Any good advice on this subject?