Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Master Cam Newbie

IAnderson

Hello Everyone.

I was just checking out Mastercams website. I am just learning CNC machining, and Mastercam at San Diego city college. I will be using my new skills in the woodworking industry primarily. I currently build guitars, and work for a small production shop with no cnc machine. We do all of our work on traditional woodworking machinery, and have farmed out some cnc maching in the past. I will be looking for work in that field, or somthing similar. I don't think I'll be purchasing a $75,000 system anytime soon biggrin.gif

Welcome to the forum, You will find it informative.

Do you do the bodies only or do you make the necks too? I find neck geometry and fret spacing interesting, And somewhere I have a 3 1/2 with some wireframes of bodies in .GE3.

I Don't know of any CNC guitar shops, But there has to be because guitar bodies have CNC written all over them. Good luck-

Jim

I make bodies and necks. The shop I work in we ran a batch of necks, and the fret slots were done on a mandril (I think thats the word) with a sawblade attached to it. They used a Motion Master cnc router.

All the factories nowdays use CNC. Both electric and acoustic. It has even filtered down to most of the smaller manufacturers, and parts makers.

Actually there plenty of guitar shops using Mastercam. The Northwood Design (MetaCut) guys has a nice collection of samples at their office.

Larrivee Guitars (www.larrivee.com) out in Vancouver, B.C. has a link on the Mastercam web page. They have a nice educational section on CAD/CAM on their site - perhaps worth a read if you are considering CAD/CAM for guitar manufacturing.

The Haas article is quite interesting - unfortunately Fender's Custom Shop is using a competitive product to produce the G-Code.