Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Need help on toolpath decision, surface

If this is a casule cut along it's length I'd start with a surface rough pocket then finish it with a surface finish contour.

On second thought, the product would probably look better with a surface finish parallel cut.

Just remeber to keep the chips out of that cavity! If your cutter starts rechewing them your finish is really gonna suck. And climb climb climb!

I agree with all the parallel finishing posts.

I'd use the surface finish parallel for finishing after you rough. Depending on your finish you would like to achieve, i would also run another parallel finish pass with a stock allowance of .003 before the finish.

With the finish, i would use tolerance of .0003, step over of .003, zigzag, and angle of 45.

Gap size set to .15, following surfaces, and check gap motion for gouge the only box checked under gap setttings.

Under advance settings, I would pick the only between surfaces for roll tool. These options gave me one rapid move to start, and one at finish. The tool stayed down through the entire part.

This may work for you???

Climb cutting flowing from the bottom up for finishing produces great results. After all the surface speed at the bottom of a ball mill in theory is zero. By Stepping your cuts from the bottom up you cut more on the periphery without dragging.

You might find the speed and feed for the insert tool a little agro but that small DOC it is in line with catalog values.

The closer the cutter R is to your part R the smaller the scallop and the larger your step.

if you change the cutter direction as in any zig zag program the tool alternatly shears then tears the material. Really efficient machining though with no monkey motion.

I posted a sample that should make aluminum shine but keep the tools real short.

You guys are cool

Thanks Charlie