Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Spindle speed increasers

mmphoenix

Let me go into more detail. I need more spindle speed because I'm running small diameter parts, 0.250" & 0.375" diameter. With the way insertable tooling is now, to be most efficient with the inserts, I need more spindle speed. I was just curious if there was anything like that out there before we considered buying another lathe.

mmphoenix, before buying another lathe, have you considered a spindle swap? or maybe a screw machine (usually more economical than a lathe and you can probably swing in a bar feeder for the price)?

I have heard an strange story once about something similar. I heard about a guy who bought a 3:1 or 4:1 50 taper speeder. Milled flats on the taper and held it in a 4 jaw chuck eek.gif . Then fashioned some weird stop bar cup assembly that mounted to the back wall and screwed the release (for the body) down. He was spinning parts on the lathe at around 12000rpm. I think he was holding on to a 1." diam (In an ER type collet) doing part off work at like 8 to 10 pieces per bar!

Now, I never saw this myself. I only heard about it through several friends. Not sure that I would try this. I'm told the setup looked like some stage prop from the movie 'Hellraiser'.

Some people have all the balls.... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

cheers.gif