Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT: File Permissions

Paul McGarr

I'm confused about something,

I am at a workstation running Windows XP SP2 and when I right click on mapped network drives and/or subfolders of those drives, I don't get the "sharing and security" choice that I get when I click on a local folder. I am logged on locally using the same name and password as I do when I sit at the server. I have admin priveledges both locally and at the server.

Shouldn't I be able to modify pile and folder permissions on the server from the workstation? I thought I was always able to do this. headscratch.gif

The local pc is windows XP SP2 and the server is windows server 2003.

This is not a domain type network, just peer to peer for file sharing only.

Anybody know if I should be able to do this?

Thanks,

Paul

Are you sure you have NETWORK Admin privileges? Local Admin means you can change your LOCAL Machine.

If you have Admin privileges on the server, when you are mapping your network drives, you can give the machine you are on the privileges you have on the server by connecting with your name and password when you map the drive.

Click on "Conntect using a DIFFERENT USER NAME"

Paul,

I'm not sure if it's the same type of sharing that you're looking for, but print/file sharing has to be enabled first, before you can make a folder shared. It's in "Folder Options" somewhere, I think.

Thad

Craig,

Yes, I have admin server priviledges with the same usernam and pass as I use to log on to my local machine. Just to see if something had changed, I sat AT the server and logged on using the same credentials as I would if I were sitting at my desk.

Connect using a different name really shouldn't help in this case.

Paul

I disabled simple file sharing, and that didn't work.

Can anybody verify that I should be able to do what I am trying to do?

Simply put, I want to right click on a network folder and see "sharing and security" in the menu.

It's possible that I have never been able to do this, but I really think I have.

Paul

simple file sharing enabled should give you the sharing and security option by right clicking. when you uncheck the simple file sharing option this option goes away. theres also a regeistry edit to add and remove options in the right click menu if you wanted that option back for some reason but dont know if it would necesarilly work if simple file sharing is disabled.

For whatever reason, checking simple file sharing removes the ability for me to access permissions entirely. Right click menu and properties.

When I uncheck simple file sharing, I still don't get the option in the right click menu, but I can access permissions by going to properties-security.

It's possible something is wrong with my system, but I can't imagine what.

For what I need, I am all set now. It's pretty rare that I need to mess with permissions, but when I do, I need to be able to acces them. Using properties-security is fine for me.

Seems like another indirect issue with XP SP2. I had Windows firewall problems after installing SP2 as well.

Thanks again for all the help.

Paul