Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solid Drill options/ 5axis

Toolfab

For those of you using solid drill for a 5 axis I wanted to bounce some ideas off..

Lets say you have 6 hole, 3 in one Cplane and 3 in a different. You want to use a .250 spot to spot all 6 but a #43 drill for 3 and a #7 for the other. If you pick all 6 holes, it throws your B shift (Cplane shift) in multiple times, right?

So what I did was select the first three holes at B0, output the spot and drill, then select the holes at B-20. then shuffle them together so it produces smooth consistant machine movement. Any body else playing with this awesome function in MC?

Joey it is AWESOME, that is the only word I can think of right now. I just got my fingers on this stuff about 2 weeks, like you I was leary. I had Mike Mattera, my reseller come here and give me a 1 hour lesson, this stuff is awesome.

Now I am using it, just trying to figure out the short cuts and work-arounds now. Very powerful tool that needs some work, but seriously fun to play with!

cheers.gif

Played with it a little. I found it very powerfull but yet restrictive. 3 holes:I had a spot,tap drill, tap, and a predrill for a bore and bore.

It did a nice job and getting the planes right but I had trouble getting all the depths and sequences I wanted. Ended up have solid drill output seperate operations which I edited as needed.

I would also like to hear more about this tool! I searched the forum about a month or so ago and found a little on it but not a lot.

Same here I.C. it is fun to play with. I did the same thing you said, created individual ops so i could move them around and keep my B axis on the same plane as long as i could.

You say it is restrictive, i agree, but its only restrictive to you figure out how to beat it. I am trying to do that now...lol

Solid Drill is not the best for tapping. Depths wont come out right. But as Paul said it's only restrictive till you find a way to beat it. And there are ways to beat it.

Use it for what it does well and avoid what it does badly.

It's the best thing in the world for finding compound angle TPlanes and CPlanes. Right Paul!!

Can I here an AMHEN brother!

Mike Mattera