Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Masteram 8.1.1 define tool parameters

Bruce

I have three questions on the topic of tooling and material definitions Mastercam Ver 8.1.1.

First up can someone suggest a book that explains Mastercam mill Ver 8.1.1 in great detail as this may stop what seems to be simple questions. Books are my only option as Mastercam courses down my way a very few and far between.

Why when I select a new tool library in the "screen configure section" and save it as the default library it only stays active during that section of Mastercam, next time I load up Mastercam it has reverted back to the original Mastercam library.

I am running Mastercam in the metric mode and using the metric tool and material definitions but the feed rates given in the "define tool area" make no sense at all (to me anyway). I assume the figures given are meant to be in mm/min. If this is the case they are too slow, if they are mm/rev then they are too fast?? It looks like to me, that they are actually inches/min but deselecting the inch button makes no difference.(why mm/min or in/min why not mm/rev or in/rev as per the material definition section)

I also assume they are only used when a job setup sheet and material selection are not used.

Thanks

Bruce

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

First, to set another tool library as the default you need to go into screen configure, then on the files tab, set your file usage there. Posts, Tool Libraries, etc... Then go to the NC tab. Click the "Operation Defaults" button, click save, then click the Job Setup and change tools, posts, and other misc. settings. Look around in screen configure, change settings, see how the system changes. Don't worry, if you screw up really bad, you can always delete the "mill8.cfg" or "mill8m.cfg" file and Mastercam's defaults will be restored next time you restart Mastercam.

You can always call your local Mastercam reseller for questions unless of course you are not a legitimate Mastercam customer. (BTW I am in no way accusing you of being an illegitimate Mastercam user - just informing you of your options). There are several resources materials available to you, The Mastercam V8 book By Scholars International, Retails For about $85-90 USD, pretty good. Lots of information, some of it is even useful. Some information is quite outdated. Kind of like they just slapped a new cover on an old book. They updated the major stuff, but you'll find differences in V8 vs. V8.1.1 and if you're picky nothing will make you happy. Generally it is available through your Mastercam Reseller. Another book which I find very rich in the how and why of Mastercam V8 is the book written by Charles Davis which is available through your local Mastercam Reseller, and the other one I know of is the book written by the fine folks that host this great forum, In-House Solutions. If you click on the learning button above it will take you to where you can look more into their offerings. It is a very good step by step account of how to perform tasks but if you're just reading, "Click this, select that, back up once" and following along and not paying attention to what you are actually doing, you may get frustrated.

The best piece of advice I can offer is for you to get a copy of Mastercam Demo, and "play" with it at home while you are not under any pressure to perform. There is no substitute for seat time. Plain and simple. I run into this with my students, they want to be experts but don't want to put forth a solid effort beyond the class room.

I'll step down off my high-horse now. biggrin.gif

Hope that helped.

[ 09-16-2001: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

James

Thanks for the info on books I will check with my MC reseller.

On the other topic of setting a different default tool library I have tried what you suggested but it still loads the MC default library on start up. Your right, it does get frustrating when you are only trying to simple litte things and it won't work.

Bruce

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

That SHOULD work. That is how I changed my defaults at work and at home. Go figure. rolleyes.gif What operating system are you running? I run Windows 2000 Pro at home and Windows NT 4.0 at work.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Something else just came to mind. Close down Mastercam. Restart Mastercam. Go into Screen Configure. Make your changes. Save them. Exit Mastercam. Restart Mastercam. Are they what you changed them to or back to original configuration. What happens is that say you are using Mastyercam and you've changed some things like you're using a different tool library, or a different Post, you know things like that, then you go into screen configure, those settings that are now active, will be saved to the screen config. Like it or not, anything that has been changed will be saved to the config if you say OK when prompted to save the configuration.

Hope that helps.

James

I have tried everything you have suggested and it still reverts back to original MC tool library. I can change other things in the screen configure area no problems and save them. The opperating system is windows 95 but this should make no differance. To solve the problem I can rename my tool libray to the defaut libray name and save the default libray as something different but I should'nt have to do this. confused.gif