Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

circle mill question

jeff

Is it possible to only do a finish pass at the final depth in circle mill or not at all?

Multi pass is off and using depth cuts.

It always wants to take a free pass at each depth interval and it's a HUGE waste of time. curse.gif

I just want to rough a hole out and finish with a different tool.

In MC 9.1, I get no finish passes with depth cuts selected (but no bottom finish selected - number = 0) and either multipass not selected or multipass selected without a finish pass selected (0 selected for the number of finish passes).

With multipass selected and a number of finish passes selected (1 or more), I can either have a finish at every depth cut or a finish at the bottom. Works right every time.

However, I have found that contour ramping a larger hole gives me a smoother cutting action with inserted mills.

jeff,

quote:

I just want to rough a hole out and finish with a different tool.

If this is what you want to do, you'll have to do it with two operations. Whether they are two Circle Mill ops or one Circle Mill and a Contour, it will have to be done with two operations. If that's the case, follow Metal's advice for Finish cuts in the Circle Mill when using Roughing. The Roughing in a circle mill will do exactly as you ask it to do, rough entry and rough material for each depth of cut.

The "finish" pass that you see is the single circle mill pass that would occur normally if you had nothing else (roughing, multi-passes) activated. If you have specified to leave material on the wall, let's say 0.030", this material would remain even after your roughing and single circle mill pass was complete. Then follow up your Circle Mill with another Circle Mill to finish and take the remaining material off the wall, or use a Contour to accomplish the same thing. HTH cheers.gif

Peter,I think I may have confused you.Sry.

I realize that I need a seperate op to finish with a different tool,that wasn't my question.

What I am trying to get rid of are the free passes at each depth when roughing and depth cuts are selected in circle mill.

After each depth is roughed to the size chosen (with or without stock left for finishing) it takes a free pass.

I do not see a way to prevent this other than to remove these passes in my editor after posting.

Jeff,

No, I have to say that it's not possible, at least not without editing the code, or using the toolpath editor.

The Roughing is something that can be done *in addition* to the "standard" circ mill pass, which is essentially a finish cut. It would be nice if if was more flexible, like the Pocket toolpath, and to that end........

to do what you require, I can only think of using the Pocket toolpath, with True Sprial roughing, and "machine finish passes only at final depth".