Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Problem with null tool change

shadowfax

I am pretty new to MasterCam but have taken the time to edit the Generic MPFAN post to work on a ProtoTrak DPM-V3. My post seems to work fine except that when a null tool change is supposed to occurr the post still uses the "ptlchg" section of the post instaed of the "ptlchg0" section. I need to eliminate the tool number and M6 command "T2M6" when a new operation begins with the same tool. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong.

The post also does not seem to be using the "psof" section either. Enabling this would also be useful.

Thanks

quote:

I need to eliminate the tool number and M6 command "T2M6" when a new operation begins with the same tool. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong.

Another thought here is are you "reselecting" the same tool in the tool library on the next cut? That would cause MC to 'think' you have two tools of the same size instead of it being the same tool.

confused.gif

BTW.... Welcome to the Forum! cheers.gif

Thanks for the suggestions! To answer them....

Steve, neither psof nor ptlchg0 calls ptlchg. I get no output what so ever from those sections regardless of which post processer I use (I tried the same toolpaths on a couple dozen posts). This leads me to believe that it is a MasterCam setting that is causing the issue. Still lost.

Heeler, my processer, given the little issues, does a better job for the DPM-V3 than the protomx3 post. By the way, it also gets no output from psof or ptlchg0.

Psychomill, changing how the tools were selected did not seem to make any difference.

I did find an unusual path around the problem though. My issue is really with the M6 not the tool number. The DPM-V3 goes to the toolchange position and stops the spindle each time it sees M6. It seems that the ptlchg section will not recall the tool number if it is the same. It will however recall the M6 regardless. What I did was, in the "NC OUTPUT VARIABLES FORMATS" section I changed the format of the #Tool Number output to M6T instead of just T. If that makes any sense. Odd but it worked for that issue. I still would like to get output from psof.

Thanks again fot the help, any more suggestions will be gladly accepted.

If you want something to be in the program and usable when doing one tool and only once then you would want to use the psof if you want soemthing that is usable for more than one tool then you look to the ptlchg and ptlchg0 for call tool and null tools in a nc program. The psof is a header start type call macro and in using it limits your ability to do much of anything else in my humble opinion. You want the M6 at ever tool then you just hard coded it in and done. I never need to change the format statement to get what you say and I have done some pretty trick 5 axis posts. If you zip up the .pst and .txt along with a sample .nc of what you get and what you want and shoot it to your dealer I am sure they can hook you right up. I would also send the MC9 file as well help to have a example across the board to use and go by.

HTH