Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3-d project profile question

BIG DOG

If I understand correctly you want it to cut in a constant Z fashion. I believe you can change your parameters to spiral and get this type of motion. I use this for doing round and oval cavities and achieve a superior surface finish. Boundaries are very critical to a smooth transition. HTH

Yeah Big Dog a very easy effictive way. It is caleld surface rough project. You are using the finish so you only get a finish pass. You want a roughing pass then I would use the surface rough project. I would do this by creating a line of the move you want. Then just pick the surface and got everything you want and more becuase you can set the direction and it will follow the surface down and miss check surfaces where as the other will hit soemthing if you do not think far enough ahead.

HTH

The steel I am working on has an irregular shape on top of a trim steel. Then I am projecting a 2-d profile on the shape on top of the steel using the surface project toolpath. Then stepping this down .025 a pass using translate between points. I should have this steel set up this afternoon to see if the tool will follow the surface on top of the steel and also step down, as expected, (the backplot looks good)

You can always create a saftey surface around the top edge if you are worrying about the cutter rolling over the edge of your surface. I will usually translate the top edge up .002" and create a ruled or swept surface between the two and add it to the drive surfaces.