Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mastercam wire programming

chad fisher

Out of curiousity i would like to find out how other people are programming there edms

with cutter comp for the wire. We have sodick

325l with the ln1w control. When i went to school for the machine they taught me to program to print dimensions and allow the

controls wire paremters to use its wire comp.

So in mastercam in the wire comp i will have

computer comp to off and compensation in control set to either left or right. The problem is when using lead in or lead out. It reverses the lead in, and gouges my part when

turning on the comp. When i was playing around in mastercam i changed the comp in control to match the comp in the machine and it does work correctly that way, the problem i have with this is that mastercam wants a wire size to calculate for "i set the wire dia. to 0.0". Well the amount of overburn always changes depending on thickness/material so i would have to constanty have the sodick guide of offsets infront of me to type them in mastercam. Or is there away to setup all these parameters in mastercam ahead? We run wire ver 8 so any input would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks, Chad Fisher confused.gif

We have a sodick 325 with the mark25 control on it. I program the same way with cutter comp in the control. I set my power settings in the table to "C001 H001" for the first pass and "C002 H002" on the second and so on and so forth. The operator then sets the conditions and comp in the control automaticaly using the condition function in the control. You tell it how many passes, wire dia., and how thick the steel is.

With Mastercam wire I've found that you are better off drawing your lead in/out then letting mastercam do it. It always tries to head towards the thread/cut point on the lead out. I only use the auto lead in/out on holes.

I have a wire tutorial book from mastercam that shows alot of tips on how to speed up programming a lot of holes or shapes.

Ying, Thanks, yea i am aware of that and also

of what Andy is saying. That is how i have it set up now. But now i have another question?

on doing 4 axis parts when you do two or more

passes, does mastercam want to break the wire

and jump to re thread itself when it has only

moved over about .002 to .003 from the prevoius cut. I am running into this now. Also im trying to find out if the people at CNC will build a library for sodick like they

did with the mits.

Hey guys thanks for the replies! smile.gif

Chad,

I do 4 passes generally and mcam doesn't cut and rethread the wire. Are you using leadins'outs? If your stopping on the contour to reverse comp this could be giving you the problem.

I have a question for you. Our sodick requires the upper and lower guides to be aligned to reverse cutter comp (g141 to g142). How are you doing this? I have trouble overlapping cuts in 4axis since mastercam won't let the endpoint of a chain pass over the start point. If you or anyone has a work around for this it would be appreciated.

Andy

Andy, i think i know what your talking about.

i just started getting into 4 axis programs yesterday, the machine would fault out saying

that i had align the uv axis before turning off comp. i am talking to a guy from mastercam dealer who can edit the post. Hopfully he can have something for me by the end of the day. Thanks

Chad,

If its not too much trouble could you post something here about the 4axis stuff. My mastercam support leaves something to be desired in the wire area.

I find myself going back to v7.2c to program 4axis stuff. Seems like they took a step backwards in that respect.

Thanks

Andy

[ 10-03-2001: Message edited by: AndyA ]