Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Sometimes Invisible Surfaces

Greg VN

I have a interesting problem. I created a end panel for an island cabinet. On this panel I created the geometry and surfaces on one side and I mirrored those objects to the other half. There is one surface on the original end that the 2" ball mill cuts through and the following 2 tools cut good a .75 ball and .0625 ball. On the mirrored half all the tools cut good for that same surface.

There are two other surfaces on the original half that cut good but on the mirrored half the 2" ball and .75 ball don't see but the .0625 ball does.

The 2" ball and.75 ball are using parrallel toolpaths and the .0625 ball is using scallop.

I have this panel on the cnc and I did not notice in verify that I had a problem with the molding on the mirrored half so the cnc cut through this molding. I decided to mortise out a pocket and glue in some wood and than go back and mill out this area. Since the .0625 ball reciginzed the molding using scallop toolpath I copied the operation and changed the tools to the 2" and .75 and reselected the surfaces and boundary over that area. In verify the molding was cut through.

I put this file called "Sometimes invisible surfaces" on the ftp site. This is the first time that I used this site and I realized as soon as I started coping it there that I should of zipped it because it took a while to put it there.

This is the second time that I seen this problem the first time was just before I did this panel and I sent that file to MLC Cad systems in Dallas. The technician did not know what caused this. I got around the first panel by leaving extra on the drive surface for the 2" ball and let the next tools clean up the molding. But on this panel the .75 ball cut through it as well.

I'm using Mill 9.1 SP2.

I've got to cut one more panel like this. I will carve out the molding in that area if I have to but I would like to banghead.gif knmow what is going on .

banghead.gif I am stumped. I have tryed everything that I can think of to get toolpaths on 2 surfaces. In the file sometimes hidden surfaces (on the FTP site) the color of the moilding where the problem is color 127. There are 38 original surfaces and they are mirrored to a total of 76 surfaces. I did a check model and the response was "no problem detected 32 of 38 trimmed" on the original side. The original geometry took a lot of hours to create because there are several compound radiuses - the was a lot of work to trim the surfaces in the molding. Today Sunday morning as well as yesterday I have been trying to figure out what the problem is. I have recreated the original geometry on the original side as well as the mirrored side . The molding that I can't get to cut is on the mirrored side. Analyze describes the molding as a TRIMED NURBS SURFACE. I will admit that I don't have a good understanding of NURBS but this morning I have been reading in help about it and have not been able to get a toolpath on those 2 surfaces. The molding overlays 2 diffeent radius surfaces and when I do verify the cutters ignore the molding and cut to the underlying surfaces. confused.gif

I saved the file before I mirrored the original geometry in case I had to go back. (I have had other situations where I wish I could.) I zipped it and put it on the FTP site as well as I zipped the end product and put it out there and deleted the file that I put out yesterday because of the size.

The answer might be simple to somebody. Maybe you might be the one. I know that most likely nobody will see this today since it is Sunday and tommorrow is Labor day so I doubt that I will get any response till Tuesday.

I would appreciate any help that I can get.

The folder is at cadcam's FTP site. I'm using Mill 9.1 SP2. I posted earlier at work. I brought home my hasp and I thought that I would download the file here to mess with it some more this afternoon. I did not realize that it would take the rest of the afternoon to download it. I don't have high speed internet......

Ok now i see it, it is were it is not suppose to be. i have stated before don't make folders in the main dir or there will be folders everywere.

I do my best to make it as simple as possiable to find files to help others.

From the rules please read #2:

( Guidelines:

1) Don't create folders in the root directory.

2) Please put all files in the appropriate directory.

3) IPs are tracked. Inappropriate use of the FTP site will result in a report to your ISP.

I am moving this to the MC9 folder were it should of been in the first place.

Thank you for zipping the file due to the size.

Have a great weekend, I am going to take a look in a while at the file to see if I can help.