Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Long hand drill cycle in mill...

?Mark

I'll need some help/suggestions with this...

I'm switching to coolant fed drills on our moris.

Material is 17-4 ph ss, and I need a drill cycle to retract .005" every .025" with feedrate (no rapid) to break a chip.

Most holes are 5+ dia deep and carbide does not work well in this material so I'm trying to use Allied spade drills.

For now I'm manually doing it and with such a small peck my fingers are getting tired really quick from typing wink.gif

Any help greatly appreciated

Kind regards, Mark

Mark, write a drill macro (or have one written) to do what you need. I'd do it but I gotta get out to the floor.

Also in V9 (since I'm not sure about X yet), you can change the output in the post setting for "usecanned" to no and it will generate code in long hand instead of a canned cycle. Haven't played with that much so I'm not sure if it will do the job for you.

Also, do a search too. I seem to recall someone posting a macro program to do just that some time ago.

cheers.gif

quote:

you can change the output in the post setting for "usecanned"

Thanks, Rob

But that would involve changing post setting everytime I need long hand.

Haven't tought about macro, so will search again.

Thanks

Mark

BTW, Tom was here earlier this morning and looks like everything is gone from Computerized. Thought I'd let you know...

Forgot to add....

the longhand for MC output will still have a G0 in the retract so you'll have to edit it out in the NC.

cheers.gif

edit: looks like macro then!!!

I wonder if CMS will sell the building? He owned it outright plus another few acres next to it. I hear Perry is now working for a company based out of China.

biggrin.gif

There are probably much simpler ways to do this, but I think what you are looking for is code that looks like:

G01 Z-.025 F20.;

Z-.020;

Z-.050;

Z-.045;

Z-5.000;

This can be generated fairly easily in Excel using the autofill functionality, and then copied and pasted into your program. This would be the easiest way to do once, if this is going to be a regular occurence I would use other means. I just generated these values in about 3 minutes (had to check to see if it was as easy as I was hoping). I will send you a text file if I can- 385 lines!

MattW

quote:

Heard he is a manager somewhere in Asia (Singapore?)

for a company that used to be his main customer

I doubt its AMAT,..... StorageTek ???

I'll have to pay a visit to his brother. biggrin.gif

Did you get the macro yet? Brett has the right idea with a while/do loop. It's not built into any posts I have now, I think I'll write one though.....

biggrin.gif

quote:

This would be the easiest way to do once, if this is going to be a regular occurence I would use other means

Matt, looks like it will be used quite often here. The 17-4 ph is a b#$%# to break a chip so I need an easier way of doing it.

It's prety much trial and error until I hit a sweet spot with lenght of peck.

quote:

Sometimes we add a custom drill cycle in the canned cycle blocks that actually outputs as "longhand

I'm all ears Brett and Rob smile.gif

Regards, Mark

Rob, I heard applied...

Mark,

You can have one drill cycle post longhand and the rest still use canned cycles. I am not positive about that, but pretty sure.

If I am right, you can copy pchpbrk info to pmisc1 and set usecanmisc1 to 'no' instead of 'yes'. Then you can use misc1 as a cycle when you need longhand, special control.

I don't think the rapids are going to be an issue in a chip break cycle. With acceleration and deceleration, I don't think you'll approach very high feeds at .005 retract.

I'm a little unclear because I am not at work, and can't check. I think I am right, and will be glad to take a look on monday if it'd help.

Paul

If you have a newer Mori I think there is a canned cycle for this.

If I am not mistaken a G73 chipbreak cycle does what you want. I don't have the Mori programming manual in front of me so I can't check right now.

I think I remember the book saying that it does retract by a default (a few thou) for each chip break. And also that with a certain word added to the block you can control the retract amount.

Or I could be thinking of another cycle. But I'm almost positive there is a canned cycle to do that. I know there are about 5000 canned cycles our Mori's have that I never use.