Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fanuc 16m Won't Go Home

g huns

I am milling some vents on a mold parting line, got a press waiting to sample, and the thing locked up on me. Started the cut with my z part offset at +.001 just to see how things looked. Looked ok, so I think I hit the reset button, not cycle stop, to make it stop. I put it in manual but it wouln't move. So I hit power off and the started it back up. Went to do zero return and z goes down way too far(scary close to table) then comes up and alarms out with overtravel warning in z. X and Y go home fine but z will not. First time in 3 years it has flipped out on me and I'm no Fanuc guru so anyone know how to get it running again?

Fadal with Fan controls...when we do a restart we have to position the head and table near the marked home postitions for calibration. Is that what you have to do with your machine?

Never had to do this on any other machine I have seen, but if you don't bad things happen.

Yup. I just put it manual and move to the limits, back off a little and turn the dial to ZRN and hit the zero return button. The first thing it does is go down in Z, and fast, you can't over-ride the speed either and e-stop is the only thing that stops it, hit that several times before I was satisfied that I wasn't going to kiss the table with the spindle face. It stops just short of the table then goes back up but errors out with overtravel alarm. Never fails, tool due today, material in dryer, press waiting, last thing to do is vent and boom I'm screwed. If it was anything else I'd just grind them in but it's all 3d and angles so I gotta mill them in.

Got it! Somehow travel limits got scrambled. Turn off machine on front panel,turn back on, press and hold P+cancel. This resets travel limits to default. Gotta be careful after you do this cause until you do a zero return you can ram it into the hard stops(tech guy left off that last part banghead.gif ) Then when you bounce off the hard stop and it's really stuck you just hold down the 2nd LS remove button(the yellow one with an ! on it) and crank it back the other way. Then send her home and it's all good. Lost my super custom precision tuned travel limits but at least I'm cuttin again. Thanks all.

I little late, but when I read your first post I was gonna suggest the P+Cancel until I read that you got it. I had this happen to me when the wire in the "Y" cable race for the X Home Position switch dried out from the coolant, cracked, came into contact with the ground from the same cable, blew a fuse, etc etc. Had someone figure all that out, replaced the cable, but then my home position was out! Another phone call and the P+Cancel fixed it. Is that in the manual? I don't think I've even seen it in there.

quote:

A call to the local seller perhaps to see if they can clear this up for you?

That actually worked headscratch.gif seems kinda rare for that to happen. I was pleasantly surprised by the help I got from MC Machinery Systems. They are the Mits wire and sinker people. They are now the USA distributer for Roku-Roku. Used to be Vard-Smith. They had one guy who did all the service and set-ups and knew these things in and out. Didn't have real high expectations of MC getting me up and runnin, but they proved me wrong. cheers.gif

Hey Matt I though I was the only one who quit paying my Cadkey maintanence at V21. Sucks to be us cheers.gif I hear 21.5 is way better.

quote:

They all wanna go home sooner or later. (Works on meh kids.)

I thought youse was a stork, sounds like your offspring got a little homing pigeon in their blood, wouldn't be one of them there mixed breeds, would ya?

biggrin.gif