Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

auto cursor on solid edges

beej

I think this is a result of not turning on "Standard Selection". If you select the drop down arrow for selection method on the General Selection Toolbar you can select one of six selection methods. For this example just click on the single method. When you pick a single there is a button with a white arrow that becomes active on the General Selection toolbar. This is just to the right of the selection method drop down menu.

This is the Standard Selection function.

Standard Selection is basically - Click to select an entity, Click on that same entity again to de-select it. It is basically a toggle option. Here is the catch: If you see the arrow, standard selection is off! Pressing the button activates standard selection(the button should be grayed out when it is active).

If you are trying to put a fillet radius on a solid and you have Standard selection turned off, when you move your cursor over the model, no solid edges will auto-highlight. Same goes for toolpath depth selection from a solid. If you press any of Mastercam's toolpath depth selection buttons and go to your solid geometry, same story, nothing auto-highlights or auto-cursors.

I personally think this is a bug of sorts. I think Standard Selection should be on by default all the time. If you use another selection method, i.e. chain or window, then the standard selection should be off only when doing that selection function. It should then default back to being turned on when accessing either a toolpath or solid creation option.

Any comments from CNC software on this one?

-Colin

www.multiaxis.com

Colin - It is intentional that a selection override stays active until you reset the system back to General Selection. It would be painful if all you wanted to do was select chains and had to set the chain override after every selection.

But i am not sure that is the problem here. There should be no difference between a solid and wireframe.

colin, that worked thanks. It may not be a bug but it's aggravating that when you are in a function such as "analyze position" if it's turned off you have to get out of the function to turn it back on. I guess that's why it didn't occur to me that, that's what the problem is.

And what about when your in "2d contour and you want to select a depth from the solid--you have to back out of the contour path to turn it on???

May not be a bug but it's not very well thougth out.