Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Router & Surfaces

Bill L.

I spent a great deal of time working through a drawing to produce a carved part and was looking for some advice. The description of the part is fairly simple a wooden blank 1" x 10.5" x 22". An ellipse offset in from the edge by about 1" and .375" deep. A smaller ellipse is at the center of the piece and .125" deep. Twelve spokes extend from the center ellipse to the oute ellipse with the depth to match. The area between each spoke is curved (surfaced). I utilized a rough parallel pass with a .5" end mill, followed by a finish paralle pass with a .5" ball mill, completed with a finish leftover pass with a .25" ball mill. Both ellipse were cut with a 60 degree vee tool to depth these cuts were done first. The difficulty I encountered was in programming the surface tool paths - If I did not program the area outside the outer ellipse, I would get a tool gouge into the intial outer ellipse v-cut. Is there a method of setup that can be used to cut the surface within the ellipse setting the cut line of the ellipse as a boundry?

Bill

I bevieve that you can only have rectangular boundries but you can set the surfaces outside of the ones you want as check surfaces look in the online help on how to set surfaces as check you can also spec. how muck stock you want to leave on check surfaces.

hope this helps