Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Grouping tool paths

Michael Reynolds

Hi All! I want to create a library of commonly used groups, like one group for tapping 1/4-20 holes (with spot, peck, and tapping operations in it) so the next time I have to do a 1/4-20 hole (or 5/16-18, or whatever) all I have to do is to import the group and redo the part geometry.

I created the group (spot, peck, tap), but how do I save it for later use? All I can think of is to create a part file will these operations in them, but I know there's a better way!

Thanks all!

Mike R.

Mike:

In the operations manager, select all the operations you want to group, right click and pick save to library. This will put them in an .op8 file. Later you can right click in the operations manager and pick get from library. You will have to play with the various setting to get all to work well for you. I have used this feature with success. I have always created the geometry at 0,0 and the tool paths using incremental so I can move them at will when they are imported into the new file.

Good Luck

Right click while in the ops manager and select"save to library". You can name the library anything you want. Then while in even a blank ops manager of a new project you can right click and "get from library" any op you want or any group of ops from any library and apply it to the current project. I do this daily,and the only problem I have had is sometimes on the save it comes up with its own arrangement on the sequences. Soooo... after saving an op, go to nc utilities/define ops/library and change anything you need, it will stick after that!

Jim

Thanks for the help all! I haven't been able to retrieve any of the groups, but thanks to your help, I'm learnin' more about it. I'll keep trying.

One other thing, when I save to library, does mcam save them to the default, if I don't have a directory created for them?

Thanks again! (this forum STILL rocks!)

Mike (the lifelong mcam learner)

Mike,

Now that you just got the books take a look thru.

You were just talking about you getting the books and also in-house told me.

Knowing the books is a good thing for you so you can tell the students were to look in the book.

Hey Mike how long are youre MC classes? 3 months ,6 months?

You could save your self a little time by downloading the Addons.zip(From In-House Solutions)and can be file found on this emastercam site it will place tap, counterbore, or just plane old spot and drill libries.

Very handy But its still good to learn how to set them up and once you get the hang of it you will appreciate its power.

regards

Caledonian_Karl

Thanks to all for the help on this one!

Hi Jay! Yup, I looked at the book, and it was better than any I've seen (I have'nt seen Charles Davis' book yet, I must say).

The books are good, but I'd really like to see one that has "tool" based projects in it. Like 5C collet stops, tooling plates, tombstone work, etc. Most project books seem to be geared more for junior/high school students. Just my 2C on this one. I keep telling myself that one of these summers I'll write one of my own. (I don't mean to sound errogant, I want you to know)

Anyway, my pure mastercam class is 15 weeks long (2hrs lec., 3hrs lab) We also teach it in other 2nd year classes (tool design & cnc machining).

(I TRUELY DID NOT mean to discredit or disrespect any of the authors of mcam books!!!)

Hope this helps!

Thanks fer listnin'

Mike R (humble MasterCAM user)