Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

AMD or Intel?

BlueBeard

Unless policies have changed I believe Mastercam support states that they only provide support for mastercam installed on Intel machines, not really the issue I know but I feel that its a point that should be considered in any discussions about non intel processors.

beware that MasterCAM are not alone in this, several other software houses have the same disclaimer

[ 10-27-2001: Message edited by: bryan.davis ]

I upgaded to AMD T-Bird 1.4Ghz from 1Ghz Pentium III and I see huge improvement. The toolpath and verify runs almost twice as fast. If you search the internet you will find that AMD 1.4Ghz runs most CAD, 3D aplication faster than Intel 1.8Ghz

For a last four weeks, I have not had a problem with my new system and MasterCam V8.1.1

Whether "Blue Beard" is a valid member or a joke from InHouse does not make the question any less relevant, so lets get back to the original question.

CNC Software does not support non-Intel processors, so they will not alter the code behind Mastercam to take problems with non-Intel processors into account, but I have not heard of any problems with AMD processors, and we mainly use AMD Athlons, as they are cheaper for the speed given - In our experience, Athlons are 1.5 times faster than a Pentium III with the same clock frequency, and they cost less than a Pentium III with the same clock frequency.

I do not know how AMD Athlon or Thunderbird processors compare to Pentium IV's, but I have heard from some sources, that Pentium IV's are only marginally faster than Pentium III's of the same clock frequency.

Intel Celeron processors are a poor choice for PC's that are to run Mastercam. The Celeron processor is a discount version of the Pentium III processor, where the advanced graphics and math functions have been removed. The Celeron processor is a fine choice for a home user, who only needs to run a word processor, and perhaps a spreadsheet for household acounting, but it is a poor choice for running CAD/CAM, or for running graphics heavy games for that matter.

To add to Christian's post, Intel and AMD CPUs in the same "family" are not that different from each other, in terms of compatibility. If you get right down to the dirty details of intstruction sets, they're almost identical. The only difference is the special instruction sub-sets (Intel's MMX and AMDs 3DNow). And since Mastercam doesn't use any of these special instruction sets, compatibility shouldn't be a problem. Minus MMX and 3DNow, assembly code for an Intel CPU will run on the equivalent AMD CPU almost 100% of the time (not sure on the actual percentage).

quote:

Ok gentlemen of Inhouse; tell me which one of you created Multax?

I don't think any of us could've dreamed that one up, JAMMAN biggrin.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I've been running on an Athlon 1.2 for a few months at work. I must say for all the hype multass put on AMD, I've been disappointed(sp?). It's not THAT MUCH faster than my PIII 800MHz at home. I would bet that it's only about 30% faster instead of the 66% faster it should be. Of course, my PC at home it tuned to the hilt, registry tweeks, the whole 9 yards (sans Overclocking - I don't do that, not that I'm against it, I'm just a little weary of heat damage, etc... because I leave my PC on for months at a time without rebooting.)

Back to the topic, I don't think you can go wrong with either Intel or AMD. If you read the system requirements for Mastercam, you'll see that it states Intel Pentium (as of earlier this year.) as the supported CPU.

JM2C

Do not fear overclocking,grasshopper. Everything I touch that can run faster does. PIII's are forgiving with the right mobo. I have two dual PIII's at work that stay on most of the time with standard cheapie coolers- oc from 650 to 845 ish.

I'm typing this from a 550 oc to 715 ish, standard cheapie cooler. Never crashes. I did have trouble with a couple celerons, they turned out to be unstable at any speed!

Jim

I'm not quite sure what is meant by being a "valid member" but my employer does indeed have two LEGAL seats of Mastercam and I would have no problem proving this. I just wanted to clear this up for all that were curious. smile.gif

I've been leaning towards the Athlon XP 1800+ (1.533GHz) but rumor has it that Intel will be cutting the prices on the Pentium 4's.

I've had great success with AMD on the many systems I've built for friends in the last two years but just wanted some feedback from those currently using them in CAD/CAM boxes.

I thank you all for your help.

BlueBeard:

One good bit of information did come from Multax’s ranting and raving. He spoke of a web site called Tom’s Hardware. I have checked it out and it seems to be very informative with out being to technical. It has a good article on the new AMD XP chips. The article provides fair comparisons to the various Intel chips.

Good luck on you new system.

Tom's Hardware AMD XP Article

I've been browsing Toms Hardware for two years at least. Blue Beard- no offence meant at all- it was simply coincidence then that your profile was created two members before the "Wes" joke. I assumed you also were a creation by inhouse because of the member number and lack of info on your profile sheet. Welcome to the forum and your input will be appreciated by all. We have a real decent bunch of daily Mastercam users eager to help each other.

Jim