Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Thread milling in Verify

DavidB

There are no thread mill tools in MC mill. So I created a custom Tool. A sindle inserted thread mill to cut an External UNJ Thread.

Its drawn on a sepparate Level at a diameter of 1mm.

Now in the tool def I put the REAL diameter 15mm.

The toolpath looks good.But In Verify the Tool is 1mm big its way to small and its away from where it should be.

I have as defined ticked in Verify.

How can I verify Thread milling?

Why cant we have a Thread mill in Mill?

Also it would be handy in Thread milling to have the options you do in Lathe by picking a Thread from a list and it automaticly inputs the info into the fields.

Thanks

Try drawing your tool on the level to actual scale. I know it says to make your tool dia equal to one in the help file. This is only if you want to be able to scale the tool and I find that it really doesn't work. Draw your tool at 7.5mm (remember you are only drawing half the tool) and set your diameter in the custom tool dialog box to 15mm. When you look in the geometry box for the tool definition you should see the profile of the tool in blue and a dashed yellow line that represents the tool diameter. The edge of your blue tool and the yellow line should match. Be sure you measure your tool properly. Use an optical comparator or take the data from a tool catalog. When writing your toolpath you can either pick an entity (arc) or a point. If you pick an arc, Mastercam uses that arc diameter directly. If you enter a point, Mastercam will let you enter the major or minor diameter in the toolpath dialog box. I usually set the diameter .001 smaller than I need and use cutter comp set to wear. That way I can run the thread and adjust it into tolerance using the wear setting. That keeps you from cutting too big on the first shot idea.gif

-Colin