Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Iges Translation ?

Shawn Cassidy

I am new to Mastercam X and I have a question regarding the Iges translation. When I import an iges file, all "block references" in the drawing (i.e. screws and nuts) get translated to X0,Y0,Z0 not to the proper placement on the cad model?

Is there a setting I have wrong or something? Any help how I can igesin complete files including block references?

Thanks, confused.gif

Shawn Cassidy,

Welcome to the forum! smile.gif What is the CAD software your customer is using? Many times it's far better to bring in native part geometry rather than an IGES "I guess" file. If they're using SolidWorks, for example, ask them to send you the .SLDPRT file directly. If they're using Unigraphics, ask for a Parasolid file (.X_T), or a STEP file. If they're using Pro-E, ask for a STEP file. There is an add-on Pro-E converter for Mastercam which requires an additional license, as required from the developers of Pro-E. There are plenty of CAD files that can be imported to Mastercam directly. Ask your supplier what they're using and if you're not sure if Mastercam will accept it, call your reseller. If all they will send you is IGES then ask your supplier to "explode" the file before sending it to you. HTH cheers.gif

Shawn,

Just to renforce what Pete said. IGES format has had a lot of changes over the years and it has a lot of format adjusting allowed in the file specs. Many companys like autodesk no longer support IGES files because of the constant updates and 100's of varibles. This is why IGES seems like Pot luck. Sometimes IGES works great other time it just crash your App to the desk top.