Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X BUG-2D SWEEP

Kelly Burns

Built several 2D-Sweep programs yesterday, shut down the computer and went home. This morning re-opened file and posted. Noticed that one sweep was on the center of the cutter, ran a backplot and it showed the same as in the machine. Did a Regen on it and the cutter was on the correct side again. Watch out for this one, it could be deadly. Im not doing anything different with the sweep that I havent done 18,000 time before.

WTF?

Kelly headscratch.gif

I think it happened to a guy on nights a few weeks ago. The only line up I got was "the cutter cut too much off." rolleyes.gif

I created my own toolpath and it worked fine. confused.gif I can only assume that he experienced the same thing you did. Just one more reason to backplot in 2 different views. wink.gif

Chris, what problems have you had with V9 swept toolpaths? We use them pretty regularly and they work nearly flawless. OT: Do you do much milling these days? I thought you were more of a lathe guy.

Thad

The problems I've had with 2D sweep have typically occurred when I need to alter / translate geometry after the toolpath has been initially laid down.

This often results in 'The across and along contour do not exist on the same plane' (or something like that) even when they are coplanar, or the toolpath flopping to the wrong side of the along contour even though the settings are correct, or the toolpath being mirrored in the Z axis so that a concave contour becomes convex, etc.

Deleting the operation and redoing the toolpath always yields the correct result.

I do more mill programming for G jobs and side work than I do for this place, that's for sure...

C

quote:

The across and along contour do not exist on the same plane'

Chris,

I know what you're talking about. Here's some things that I've done to fix it, if you think of it next time.

1. Click the construction plane icon at the top. Sometimes it gets lost and the one in the left side menu doesn't fix it. Then regen.

2. Make sure the along and the across are perpendicular to each other. Sometimes they're a little off and you can't tell just by looking at it.

3. Make sure you don't have any splines.

I've also had problems using geometry that was translated between views. I never did get that one to work. I had to start over and change planes, then rotate the geometry.

Thad

• 1 month later...

We are having a weird problem with the 2D-sweep. We did a 2D-sweep of .250 female radius. The verifaction and backplot looked correct. We posted program and sent to the VMC machine. The operator noticed the H-tool length and D-offsets were not correct.

We went into the operation manager and selected renumber tools and corrected the offsets reposted the program sent back to the machine. When the tool came to perform the 2D-sweep the toolpath went on centerline of tool and crashed. Also the Z value would not change. The Y value would increment.

We went back to examine the program and found we could make the operation which contained the 2D-Sweep function incorrectly by changely the stock to leave value on a different tool in a previuos operation or following operation.

It appears the 2D-Sweep operatios will be affected by changes on other tools or operations that have nothing to do with the 2D-sweep operation.

This is a major pain in you know what.

Is this one of those bugs that will be fixed in MR1.

We are having a weird problem with the 2D-sweep. We did a 2D-sweep of .250 female radius. The verifaction and backplot looked correct. We posted program and sent to the VMC machine. The operator noticed the H-tool length and D-offsets were not correct.

We went into the operation manager and selected renumber tools and corrected the offsets reposted the program sent back to the machine. When the tool came to perform the 2D-sweep the toolpath went on centerline of tool and crashed. Also the Z value would not change. The Y value would increment.

We went back to examine the program and found we could make the operation which contained the 2D-Sweep function incorrectly by changely the stock to leave value on a different tool in a previuos operation or following operation.

It appears the 2D-Sweep operatios will be affected by changes on other tools or operations that have nothing to do with the 2D-sweep operation.

This is a major pain in you know what.

Is this one of those bugs that will be fixed in MR1.