Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Milling counter bores

g huns

I need to mill several large(to me) counter bores for cores in a mold cavity. The through hole, appx. 2 inches, is already wired through. The counterbore is about 2.5 inches, with a flat on one side tangent to the 2 inch diameter. How do I mill out just the counterbore area. I would like to start at the 2 inch diameter and spiral outward, but everything I tried want to start at the center, lots of wasted passes. This seems like it should be pretty simple, what am I missing?

If you will draw another circle in the center of your pocket (representing a theoretical boss) and chain it as well as you other geometery a pocket tool path would do what you want. Just choose the size of the center circle accordingly for your tool size.

I just tried it with true spiral and a .2 step over and it worked like a charm.

How do you trim a toolpath with a contour? Never liked the multi passes because of the stepovers. Should have mentioned, using .250 endmill with .015 corner radius and cutting S-7 50-52rc. I just used morp-spiral pocket .1875 stepover and .003 depth cuts. So I cut a little air.

Greg,

Something that I have found that works well with this application is contour/ramp and change your ap and ae accordingly for ramp cutting. You then can just take it in multiple passes like a regular contour. The only places you should cut air with this one is the flat section where it is already wired out.

.25 coated carbide I would start off with full effective Ø stepover with .005"doc per rev and 6112 rpm @ 24 imp with a 4 flute cutter.