Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

machining from an STL

Chadbourne

I've done some STL machining and they are usually very large files. I've had them with over 100,000 triangles. They take a long time to calculate toolpaths. Basically I'm sayin you may have to wait longer depending on your surfacing tolerance. Try making your tolerance big just to see if you can get a toolpath, then tighten it up later.

Since an STL file is (usually) a polygonal representation of a curved part, using tight tolerances like you might normally use can backfire - you'll end up waiting for MCam to generate a toolpath that looks like the polygonal representation, which probably isn't what you want - you probably want something resembling the original curved part.

Try loosening up the machining tolerance and see what happens.

I run my tolerance around .0002 with a 1:1 filter range on my big STL files and get good looking parts, but they take a long time to calculate.

good luck, I hate working with STL's, but have no choice at the moment. I keep hoping for a good translator to come along. The STL to surf chook for v9 never worked because my files are too large, and we don't have other any of the other softwares capable of converting these.

What is the advantage if any to using STL files for machining ? I steer clear of STL files just because of the problems mentioned above. Wouldn't it be more practical to request a parasolid, step or even iges surface model to use for machining ? Seems like it's a backa$$ward way of doing things. JMHO headscratch.gif

-------------------------------

you don't have much of a choice

-------------------------------

You work at Synthes where they use PRO-E right ?

PRO-E does iges. Is the stl file coming from another program that uses data from Cat scans or MRI's ? Do you have the freedom to convert the models your self in MC using the stl2surf c-hook or does engineering have too tight of control over the cad models ? Don't mind the questions. I'm just trying to get an idea how things work over there. You might even be the guy who got hired instead of me or maybe one of the guys who interviewed me for a model maker position not too long ago. cheers.gif

mcpgmr

I do work in the synthes prototype shop, but I don't get to do interviews. been here about 8 years.

Can't really get into specifics of the STL's but they are not coming from Pro-E. It takes the engineers 1 to 2 days to convert them in pro-E. I personally don't know Pro-e. the computers come up with "not enough memory" when trying the stl2surf c-hook in mcam and they are not even half way converted. There is just to many triangles in these STL's so we've been toolpathing directly off of the file.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested to see the talk of useing CT data, that is exactly what I am trying to do. I've had success creating splines (nurbs) from the slices, then lofting them into surfaces to be machined, but that is more work than I want to do on an ongoing basis. The STL aproach appeared promising to me becouse I can cut out all that manual manipulation to get an image, but machining it seems to be another issue. Has anyone done this, or somthing like it before?