Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Changing the G54 in X

How do you change the G54 in X. I am drawing a part that is cylinderical in shape and the top of the part is at Z0.0, when looking from the top. For some reason, mastercam is thinking that the top of the part is at Z2.5 and that the center of the part is at 0.0 Everytime I try to create a toolpath, I put in my depth as say

-.095 and mastercam takes the tool halfway down through the part. To .095 below the origin. To get it to cut where I want I have to put my cutting depth at 2.375 Any ideas?

When you go into an isometric view and press F9 to see your crosshairs where are they in relation to your part.

You may need to either translate your part or create a new work origin using the WCS to get the position where you want it.

I did this and have the work coordinate where I want it, but it still thinks that the top of my part is 2.5 inches above where it really is. I was thinking that this may be because when I select rotary axis to do the 4th axis, I put in a diameter of 5 inches for the stock. And also, I have to mill a bunch of flats on the outside of the part and want to mill them on the top of the part, when I changed the work coordinate by moving the part, it rotates the part and cuts them on the side instead of the top.

When doing 4th axis work, when you need to the rotary head to rotate to a new side you should create a new T/C plane to achieve this.

If you do a seach for WCS Tutorial you will find a V9 tutorial done by Hardmill, it is also on the FTP in the unspecified folder I believe. The premise for using the T/C planes remains the same.

HTH

edit

Bottom of the thread

Linky