Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Broaching in X?

Mcam Nut

I was wondering if there is a easier way to broach, I used to always use a drill cycle and drill multi points until final depth with a m19. but we just bought a carbide inserted broaching system, and it is recomended to have .2mm clearance on the retract. I am using a point toolpath for this, but it is starting to get hard on the head. Is there a easier way to broach?

what i need is a drill cycle that retracts in the x or y direction at the bottom of the key by .008" can I make a custom cycle to do this Im trying to use a g76 (fine bore with shift) the Q seems to be the shift amount. will this work? and can I control my shift direction?

Sorry, this is slightly off topic for your question, but I was wondering how you broach using a G76 without the spidle turning...? Obviously you wouldn't want a spinning broach...? Maybe I am not getting the whole picture.

no, im trying differnt things, when i use a drill cycle I remove speed and the m3 and insert a m19, this will work with a g81, or g85 but i need to have a .008" shift in x or y before retract thats why i was wondering on a g76, I havent tried it yet, but it sounds like what i want, but it does not show up in my backplot as shifting, but its worth a try i guess

Yuo have got my interest. Can you plunge -G1-(I presume that's what your doing) without the spindle being on? Or do you use a modified rapid speed?

I understand what you want with the G76, nut my concern would be that the spindle would re-orient. I know on my Haas VF6 sometimes, but not always, if the spindle is oriented and I hit the button to orient it, it will spin...as said, not always. So, if you were even a few thou into a broach and it decided 'oh let's just orient for the sake of it'...crunch.

I would agree with a custom peck drill that goes to full depth and retracts on the x or y instead of the z. Sounds like the easiest way to me.

Lots of guru's here to give some good help for something like that.

Well ive been broaching using spindle orient for quite a while now and so far no problems as long as the m19 is in the safety line it seems to work, and with point machining i can have a g1 for my z- moves and a g00 for my x, and y and z+ moves, but with point machining it is a fairly long process, I have my diving head set up flat and I have 8 difernt keys to cut, but I use a g81 for my home made cutters and this works well rapid up in z+ and feed z-. I may just run the same process for this new tool and see what happens, or maybe a g85 to feed back out of the hole, im just thinking of tool life on using this inserted cutter over our usual hss ground cutters, any sugestions?

Alternate thought...you ever though about writing a short macro to do broach? If you broach alot then it might be worth it, then you can just give the macro instructions on how deep, retract and similar.... I am very versed in macro programming yet, but it's a thought.

Here is what I did for a back spot facing in the post:

code:

pdrlcst$         #Custom drill cycles 8 - 19 (user option)

#Use this postblock to customize drilling cycles 8 - 19

pdrlcommonb

#if drillcyc = 8, pcan1, pbld, n$, *sgdrlref, *sgdrill, pdrlxy, pfzout, pcout,

# prdrlout, dwell, *feed, strcantext, e$

if drillcyc$ = 8,

[

sub_prg_call = peck1$

pcan1, pbld, n$, *sg00, *sgabsinc, pfxout, pfyout, strcantext, e$

pbld, n$, "M98", *sub_prg_call, e$

]

if drillcyc$ = 9,

[

pdrlcommonb

pcan1, pbld, n$, pdrlxy, pfzout, pcout, *feed, strcantext, e$

"M00", e$

*drl_prm1$, *drl_prm2$, e$

"G1", *drl_prm3$ , *drl_prm4$, e$

*drl_prm5$, e$

"M00" , e$

*drl_prm6$, e$

pcom_movea

]

else, "CUSTOMIZABLE DRILL CYCLE ", pfxout, pfyout, pfzout, pfcout, e$

pcom_movea

Then defined them here:

code:

# --------------------------------------------------------------------------

fmt Q 2 peck1$ #First peck increment (positive)

fmt 2 peck2$ #Second or last peck (positive)

fmt 2 peckclr$ #Safety distance

fmt 2 retr$ #Retract height

fmt Q 2 shftdrl$ #Fine bore tool shift

fmt Z 2 zdrl$ #Depth of drill point

fmt Z 2 tosz$ #Drilling top of stock

fmt N 4 n_tap_thds$ #Number of threads per inch (tpi) / Pitch (mm)

fmt F 2 pitch #Tap pitch (inches per thread)

fmt R 2 refht_a #Reference height

fmt R 2 refht_i #Reference height

fmt S 4 drl_prm1$ #Back Spot Facing Spinlde Speed

fmt M 5 drl_prm2$ #Back Spot Facing Spindle Direction

fmt Z 2 drl_prm3$ #Back Spot Facing Intinal Z depth to start Clearence postion

fmt F 15 drl_prm4$ #Back Spot Facing Feedrate

fmt Z 2 drl_prm5$ #Back Spot Facing Depth

fmt Z 2 drl_prm6$ #Back Spot Facing Retract Z place for moves between places

# --------------------------------------------------------------------------

HTH