Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

File Locking

Over the last couple of years we have received more and more requests for some sort of File Locking mechanism when working with multiple users in a Network environment.

I would love to hear from you all first hand exactly what you are looking for in this regard. I am just gathering information right now and cannot make promises of IF or WHEN something like this would show up in the software. idea.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

If you guys would send user files to the "My Documentsmcxmill..." folders. This would go a long way for security in several instances I have run into. I ended up having to set up config files for each user to accomplish this but it was a pain, allowing access to this, but not that, etc... I've seen some really restrictive environments that programmers have had to endure but this has been a result of the nature of work that was done and is becomming more and more common.

Hi Ken,

I would like some kind of Vault system where you "check out" your file. When a file is in use only a "Read Only" copy can be opened while that file is in use. Other users would recieve an email notice that the file has been changed when saved by that user. Also a utility to see who has the file open. (similar to the nethasp) and an automatic note system that would track what user had opened and changed the file, this file is encripted so that it can not be modified so would be a true tracability notice board. You would also need a user manager system that would give rights to certain users to modify the file and lock out others. Files could then also be put on an approval list which would lock posting of the file until it had been approved by a senior programmer. Expand the File properties to tag it to a customer, project, machine, DWG#, REV #, PO # etc. Then include a search by any of the file properties listed. Also make it that a file had to include at least a DWG # to be able to save the file on the approval list, other wise place in a file pending directory.

Just a few ideas hope this helps.

Regards Karl

File-locking is built into Win32 API functions like OpenFile(), which would make implementation swift.

quote:

If you guys would send user files to the "My Documentsmcxmill..." folders.

Agreed. I know I've said it before and since it's been brought up, I'll say it again biggrin.gif Exploiting a Windows feature (and in term a time-tested UNIX feature) of each user having their own location that they have full rights to would solve a whack-load of problems. I'm a bit creeped that we're nearing 2006 and all data is off the root of the drive. ALL users, regardless of their access level, have full privileges to anything in C:Documents and Settings[their_username].

Good places for files and config files are:

C:Documents and Settings[their_username]Application Data

C:Documents and Settings[their_username]Local SettingsApplication Data

C:Documents and Settings[their_username]My Documents

Common stuff could go in:

C:Documents and SettingsAll Users

quote:

I would like some kind of Vault system where you "check out" your file.

Sounds like a versioning system like CVS, Subversion or Visual SourceSafe.

[ 12-20-2005, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: Bullines ]