Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Edit-Simplify

Thad

It's been said here many times, and it's in the documentation, that Edit-Simplify is the old Modify-Conv to arcs. This feature is used to create arcs from circular geometry that is represented as a spline. According to the Help in MCX, it will convert "would be" lines also. In V9, it only worked on arcs, according to the Help.

Did anyone notice this?

It came to light after having to send a detail out to weld because the result of Break Many Pieces (the old Modify-Break-Splines to arcs in V9) cut to bad data. Even with a .0001 tolerance, the resulting geometry was drastically different from the original and went unnoticed until after it was cut.

I noticed that not all splines would convert with Simplify-Edit. Does anyone know the criteria for what gets converted and what doesn't?

Thad

Will,

There isn't anything wrong with the toolpath. It's the idiot (me) that created the geometry.

I misspoke above on the .0001 tolerance. I originally used a .0005 tolerance and used the default "Delete" to get rid of the old spline. Since it was deleted, I couldn't see the variation from old to new.

MC did nothing wrong. It didn't violate the geometry. When I said bad data, I meant bad in reference to the trim steel I was cutting, not a toolpath violation. I'd still be willing to send you the file if you'd like. Let me know.

Thad

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed that not all splines would convert with Simplify-Edit. Does anyone know the criteria for what gets converted and what doesn't? Of the examples that I've tried, any closed shape spline, other than an arc represented as a spline, will not convert with Edit-Simplify. confused.gif

Will, you said in an email that this is fixed in MR1. I see no difference with MR1. I have a question about the tolerance. If I set a .0005 tolerance when using Break Many Pieces, does that mean that the results will not deviate from the original by more than .0005?

Thad