Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN??

brice

quote:

I disagree.

It's been my experience that verify and the actual workpiece look exactly the same when surfacing.

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear on what I was trying to say. I agree about look of the surface will be the same but I was referring to the stopping and starting of the cutter that I see when verifying at the slowest speed.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So he is using project. That is what I thought.

It will jitter on the machine but not necessarily stopping. If the feedrate is up you may get a rumble but that should be it.

Been there done that.

A more fluid path simulating the edge curve of the surface when projected will get rid of the jitters.

I checked out your file. I didn't see any "jittery thing".

I see a z level rough (op 4) and a few lifts in Z because of depth variations but not much else that would bother me.

I looked at it in X and in V9.

Sorry Barb... I said (he) before. Looking at the name Brice. My apology.

quote:

I see a z level rough (op 4) and a few lifts in Z because of depth variations but not much else that would bother me.

Same as I saw in X, I wouldn't hesitate to run it and check the final result.

I did try this on my part on the machine and it has marking on my part. If you slow down the speed when you verify it, you will see that it slows down in the beginnning. This slowing down makes my machine try to speed up and slow down all around my part. I think I need to join all my arcs around my circle, but I'm not sure.

Have you actually posted and looked at your G code?

The feedrate is 300. and it does not change except at the plunge points.

If you put this program into your machine and it is jumping, good chance it is either a machine setting or a machine problem.

The thing I don't understand is that it's backplotting the same way. That is why I think it's in MC and not my machine. It seems to me like it's reading separate splines along the arc and stopping at each one. If you do an analyze on it, you will see that it's one entity. I need the backplot to come out right first. VamVany mentioned something about filters. Do you think that would help??

I still can't get this to work. It seems to me that the machine having a hard time calculating the ramp for my tapered ring. The backplot shows it going very slow and in turn this is making my machine try to go to top feedrate then back to almost zero.....not sure!!

banghead.gif

brice,

You're projected toolpath is a helical cut direction? If this is true, the Verify you see and the cut on the machine will be very similar. Mastercam cannot ouptut NURBS spline data for code. When the toolpath is calculated, it is automatically broken down into the simplest form of data or "point to point" data. Surface toolpath is generated in this way. The "jittery" motion you see in Verify is coincidentally mimiced in the machine because of the speed you run the Verify at. If you had the Verify turned up to the fastest speed, you wouldn't see the "jittery" motion. What's happening is the machine is stopping, even if it's only a very minute amount of time, at the endpoints for each line of code. Is there a setting to have the machine "look ahead" by a given amount of entities? This may help to smooth out the cutter path if this number is increased. Another way to help smooth the program is to apply filter settings to the toolpath within Mastercam. You're already using a Filter ratio within the operation however it's set to 1:1. That means the space allowed for Mcam to try to calculate for an arc to replace the lines is no bigger than the actual space to fit the lines in. An arc cannot be generated using the same endpoints of a line without having a little "give" to allow for more space for the arc to fit. Use a filter ratio of 2:1 (Filter tolerance is double the Cut tolerance) to replace more lines with arcs, making a smoother toolpath as a result. HTH cheers.gif

I tried changing the filter like you said and I get several messages. First one says that Cutter Compensation not successful. Second one says, want to change the color of the last proceeded surface, and I put no, but yes also gives me the same answer. Then the last one says, ERROR - Error regenerating Operation! Surface Rough Project.....an comment on how to eliminate these. Thanks.

brice,

There are lots of ways to learn Mastercam. We have a link to Streaming Teacher on our web page. S4A web site The standard subscription is 90 days I believe and that allows you access to download and view tutorials about Mastercam online as much as you like. Or you could view our training schedule on our website under Services-Training. We do cover your area. We have several clients in Vermont, at least one I know of who is close to Lake Champlain. Or if you prefer, I would be happy to speak with you directly. jmparis is also one of our clients and he has attended a couple of our training classes in the past. That's my shameless plug for the day. biggrin.gif

quote:

jmparis is also one of our clients and he has attended a couple of our training classes in the past.

I'll take that solids class too as soon as it's available.

Then maybe you can learn something Peter.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif