Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Left hand thread

Zoeper

Can you cut a left hand thread with a right hand tool and insert? headscratch.gif

I think it should work if you use a -29 degree lead in angle in the thread cut parameters tab. that way the tool would only be cutting with the back edge (thinking about it -30 should work better here)

I must make do with what tooling is available and only need to cut 6 small parts (M12x1.75 x 10mm)

Any ideas please??

p

Never even thought of flipping the tool, but it won't work anyway. Cannot get close enough to the shoulder that way.

I suppose that would be first prize if you can flip the tool and still cut towards the chuck but CW rotation. That way you do'nt mess with the angles of the cutting surfaces.

Second prize: go with the negative aproach angle and cutting away from the chuck??

check this out

quote:

Author Topic: left handed threads turned in haas lathe ??

MACHINEMASTERG

Member # 2056

posted 08-17-2005 11:38 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just like it says whats it take to do left handed threads in the haas lathe ???write the code long hand and then reverse it and start at the chuck and go out to the tail stock ???i didnt see a g code in the haas book to turn left handed threads i need 1/4-28 any help is much appreciated ...G

--------------------

Greg Emmons

Machine Shop Manager

OO=[][]=OO E30 veedub-b5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 1419 | From: MARLTON,N.J | Registered: Apr 2002 | IP: Logged

RobertWinters@UF

Member # 9522

posted 08-17-2005 12:13 PM

Try giving Haas a call, they are really helpful as I can't answer this one myself... more of a mill guy. Sorry

Robert

Posts: 97 | From: Ontario, CA | Registered: Sep 2004 | IP: Logged

Kannon

Member # 8019

posted 08-17-2005 12:22 PM

Greg,

I dont know much with the Haas Lathe, I tried to find something that could help, sorry came up short. The best info I could find is here

good luck and I am sure an expert will chime in shortly

--------------------

it seems I have the ability to make simple things seem complicated!

Posts: 933 | From: Decorah, Iowa | Registered: Mar 2004 | IP: Logged

TKDBB

Member # 8283

posted 08-17-2005 12:28 PM

I should get you in touch with our old machine shop foreman. He programmed some left hand threads on four large Inconel665 parts. Of course they were supposed to be right hand threads. Kiss goodbye 8,800.00 worth of castings, not to mention his job.

Posts: 41 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2004 | IP: Logged

Camdude

Member # 762

posted 08-17-2005 12:35 PM

"G",

can you use M04 spindle command and thread in a positive "Z" direction??

jess thinkin out loud!

don't know if it'll work though

--------------------

Phil Jennings

Greene Tweed & Co., Inc.

Kulpsville, Pa. 19443

----------------------------------

"When the going gets weird the weird turn pro" Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 592 | From: Kulpsville,pa.19443 | Registered: May 2001 | IP: Logged

BernieT

Member # 552

posted 08-17-2005 12:39 PM

LMAO @ TKDBB

I have some 1/4 - 20 left hand taps you can have...... Left over from my Dad's shop.

--------------------

Bernie

..Pretty much retired now.....

Unless somebody needs a hand....

But stuck at Ver 9.1 ....

Posts: 1531 | From: Ventura,CA | Registered: Feb 2001 | IP: Logged

MACHINEMASTERG

Member # 2056

posted 08-17-2005 12:40 PM

phil kinda what i was thinkin mo4 and flip the tool over and go from the shoulder out ???

--------------------

Greg Emmons

Machine Shop Manager

OO=[][]=OO E30 veedub-b5

Camdude

Member # 762

posted 08-17-2005 12:45 PM

Greg, i'd give it a shot,

p.s. forgot to mention flipping the tool over could be messy otherwise

--------------------

Phil Jennings

Greene Tweed & Co., Inc.

Kulpsville, Pa. 19443

----------------------------------

"When the going gets weird the weird turn pro" Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 592 | From: Kulpsville,pa.19443 | Registered: May 2001 | IP: Logged

PhilCott

Member # 91

posted 08-17-2005 02:50 PM

quote:

phil kinda what i was thinkin mo4 and flip the tool over and go from the shoulder out ???

This is close but you don't go from the shoulder out. Grab a threading tool and a bolt, hold them up to one another and you will see what you need to do to make a left hand thread(have inverted insert and turn in reverse). I have a left hand thread tool with inserts that match the holder, program M04 and thd from the end of the part to the shoulder. Simply flipping the holder will cause you to have the body of the holder leading the tip of the insert into the part. This can be a big problem if there is not any clearance for the tool holder.

Phil

--------------------

Posts: 1661 | From: Victoria, B.C. Canada | Registered: Jun 2000 | IP: Logged

MACHINEMASTERG

Member # 2056

posted 08-17-2005 03:18 PM

thanks for the info and ideas

--------------------

Greg Emmons

Machine Shop Manager

OO=[][]=OO E30 veedub-b5