Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas Indexer on Mori Seiki?

We have a number of Haas indexers, which we've been programming manually. An M-code sends a pulse through what I think is a two conducter cable to tell the indexer when to go to the next pre-programmed position.

Apparently these indexers could be controlled through a serial cable by the mill's controller. What I need to know is what data needs to go through the cable to achieve a specified result, and how to get the machine's controller to send commands through the serial port.

The machine I'd like to try this with (our most up-to-date-machine) is a Mori-Seiki NV5000 with an MSX-501 controller. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Matt

I believe all that gets sent to the HAAS box is a signal to rotate, usually by an M code.

We have a Hardinge so yours could be different but the rotational A moves reside in the Hardinge box, it receives a signal to rotate, it moves to the next rotation and signals back it is complete, program in machine continues.

So you would probably have to edit your post to output the correct M60 at a plane change.

Your Mori dealer can tell you where your cable needs to be hooked up.

Look in the manual that comes with the indexer, it explains in some detail how to use the serial port to control the indexes, you will still be using the control box but the index commands will be in the program. We do not use this method here but some nearby shops do, and love it.

Peter

quote:

Apparently these indexers could be controlled through a serial cable by the mill's controller

Not really.

The rs-232 port on those indexers are used to communicate with b axis and to upload/download programs.

Basicaly there are two axes programmed from one front panel with this controller...

hth

Mark

What we have is basicly what John said

We use an M code in aour CNC program in our case is M181

every time the CNC program reads M181 it sends a signal to the indexer controler

the indexer receives the signal and rotate to the next step in the indexer program

It send the signal back to tell the CNC control that the rotation has been completed

then program in the machine continues.

And like Mark said

We use RS-232 port to download programs to the Haas, NSK indexers + Haas till rotary table

As for the interfacing wiring four wires are needed two for each signal (input an output)

They are from the remote input on the back of the haas control (male 4 pin DIN connector)and from your CNC machine (I recomend to hire samebody the knows how to do it)

I was able to download the manual from the Haas website, and found that did did indeed contain detailed information on how to do this. It seems that Fanuc compatible controls have a command that will output a text string through the serial port (I'm afraid I don't remember it at the moment). This allows a single NC program in the mill's controller to control both the mill and the indexer. A call to the company that the mill was purchased from confirms that it supports this command. The indexer's parameters can be set to either store the incoming data as a program, or execute it as a series of commands. Each indexer can also be given one of six axis labels, and will only execute moves preceded by it's label. I suppose this would allow multiple indexers to be daisy-chained without getting confused. Now I just need to wire up an RS232 cable correctly for it and find a time when the machine isn't in use.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

The command is POPEN to open up the port, then you send out the text string, then pclos

So youpr program would look like this

code:

POPEN

INSERT YOUR TEXT/COMMAND STRING HERE

PCLOS

HTH