Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MD / Operation Defaults

DavidB

Why is it that when I open the MD then go to Control Def the Operation Defaults are not there?

When I open the Control Def the Operation Deafaults are there. I edit them, then it says "Your changes can not be saved to the active Machine Group from the Control Definition Manager.PLease enter the Machine Definition Manager to accomplish this task.

It seems the only way to get to the Operation defaults is through the Control Def and not through the MD?

Thanks

quote:

It seems the only way to get to the Operation defaults is through the Control Def and not through the MD?

That is correct David.

Just the way it is.

I think it probably has something to with the fact that to have your operation defaults come active, you have to have the default ops file active and that only comes active once a control is used in the op manager.

quote:

Why is it that when I open the MD then go to Control Def the Operation Defaults are not there?

You CAN edit the operation defaults in this scenario, if you don't have any machine groups active in Mastercam, and you are editing the disk copies of the machine and control definitions. If you have a machine group in the operations manager, the easiest way to edit the operation defaults is through the 'Files' page of the Machine Group Properties dialog.

I had a MD loaded in mastercam which was made from an updated V9 post.I opened the MD from the Machine type drop down ,Machine definition manager.Then went into the control def the op defaults where not there,I wanted the changes i was going to make to be permanent thats why I did not do it through the 'Files' way.Does'n doing it that way only do a local edit for that file?

Editing the operation defaults file through either the Control Definition, or Machine Group Properties will have the same effect - updating an operation defaults file. (for example, Mill_mm.defaults) We have provided 2 places in which you can accomplish this.

Control Definition dialog:

The idea behind editing the file from the Control Definition interface is to allow you to define custom operation defaults for each control definition. To do this, you need to select a unique operation defaults file in the Control Definition interface, then update the individual operations for that control.

Machine Group Properties dialog - Files tab:

If one set of operation defaults works for all of your machines, editing the defaults through the Machine Group Properties dialog is the easiest way to update them.

I hope this clears things up a bit.