Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cimco DNC Max 5

Hey,

Sorry, this may be a little off topic, but I was wondering if any one out there runs this little program. The new shop I am heading to is looking at buying it (cause they have this archaiac system in place that is on a DOS platform). I have a meeting with the big boss in the early afternoon to talk about what I know of DNC and the like.

He asked me to get some opinions from people who have used it/are using it.

Any takers?

Thanks!

You set your machines up, there are communication settings that need to be set, baud rate, bits, parity and such plus how the software will commiunicate with the indiviual machines. Not knowing which machines it will be used for the set up will vary slightly.

I have a small program in my machines

%

O7777;

(LOAD PARTX REV A 1ST OP);

M30:

%

I alter the program name after the load command and output it, wait 5 seconds and hit input and the program gets sent into the machine.

Or we can send from our client machine on the floor.

Go to the computer right click on the your machine >> send file >> pick your file >> send

Hit input on your machine, program is in.

Using it on the floor is quite easy, setting it up is a much longer conversation.

John,

V5 has some new features and a new look.

DNC Client integrated into CIMCO Edit.

Over 300 minor updates/fixes compared to the last V4 release.

Edit 5 has an addition of a new CNC code backplot and simulation module.

MM,

you need both the Server and Client. Server does the work in the background, the Client is the interface that you control the communication with. Multiple clients can be added to control system from multiple locations.

Check out www.cimco-software.com for more info.

I am in the same boat, Tim. The shop I am heading to has 3 Lathes (2 DNC capable), 3 VMC's, 1 HMC. They are using an old (OLD!) switch box and a seperate computer to do all the DNC stuff. I don't see a need for this, not to mention the space it takes up that I want for other stuff.

I would like to run a link to all the capable machines from my computer, but this boils down to me not knowing the most current best way.

Any advise on this thought would be awesome!

Randy,

Before you go and run - slowdown and walk. biggrin.gif

DNC systems have made great strides of late (last few years). And I really think "Cimco" makes one H3LL of a system, others also use "Predator"? or something like that. There are others also.

It seems you have about 6 CNC's to DNC?

What DNC options do you need? File transfer, Bi-directional or one way (can the machines send as well as receive)? Remote request - or are you going to load the programs in the machines? DNC systems have a lot of options - some are dependant on the control's abilities. Is there only one seat of MC that will be used to send programs to the machines?

Is the office you are to be in, or the computer you will use, connected to a network? If so you have a great many options using the network, ie.. wireless, serial servers, network serial adaptors, etc... Are any of the machines network capable?

If your not on a network, that may mean a dedicated PC or a multiport serial card for your pc or even a simple switch box. Either way you will need some type of distribution network - ie... a hardwired type of distribution to each machine.

I have a small shop in TN, when I started looking at my options for geting programs out to the (4 CNC's) machines easier than what we were currently doing, I too came here and started asking how others were doing their machines. To make a long story short (..ER), My MC dealer had the best option for me. I use a Moxa Serial Server (located out in the shop), to conect to the SOHO network and distribute from it to the CNC's. That way - one network cable is run from the router out to the "Moxa Box", then it is distributed in the shop to each machine's serial port. This is all done with "Cimco's" version that came with MC-9, and it works like a charm! Cost wise for my setup - well under $1K, but I am cheap!, and I did the install myself.

I do have plans to update Cimco to what you are looking at - the true "DNC" package - but currently other things are taking priority.

Ask many, many, questions and get just as many answers and solutions. No one solution is the best!

Your best bet is to do as you have done - ASK here and do some searching through old posts. This will give you some feel of what others are doing, as well as some ideas (maybe?).

Also contact your MC dealer - they are bound to have some options or will point you to someone who can help.

HTH cheers.gif

Later,

Mark

We run DNCMax4 for 30 CNC machines varying widely in age, type, manufacturer, and control, installed by Steve and Frank at S4A and it is the cats a$$. We have 3 hubs hanging from the roof trusses on the shop floor [1 8-port and 2 16-port] which are wired to the server and then to the machines. We use remote request on most machines but do have client software installed on a couple of PCs in the shop to handle a couple of the dinosaurs that won't accomodate that function. The system is bulletproof and NOBODY knows DNCMax like S4A.

C

Mark,

I am just asking questions here. Trying to get enough info within last night and today to make an educated remark when asked what I think we should do with the shop in this area.

I'll admit there is a alot more questions/possibilities then I had imagined. I don't think I would require bi-directional, and yes they are on a network to start. No, far as I understand none of the machine are CAT5 friendly, or wireless friendly (currently).

I was thinking about the Cimco Edit option last night a bit and trying to decide if that would just be good enough...then I would have to keep that ungodly data switch from 1972. Ick.

Thanks for all the thoughts and advise so far. Any thing else is truely welcome!

I went throught this process about 18 monthes ago. We chose MultiDNC for price and comfort factor with rep. We also added bar code readers at each machine. The operators scan the code, then receive their program. It works very nice. No PC's on the floor and no operators in and out for floppy disks.

Software, hardware, cable and adaptors for 12 machines cost under $11,000. I figured the pay back to be less than 1 year.

We have added more machines, which is very simple, and a second system in one of our plants in Indiana.

HTH

We have this sytem set-up and running. I don't know why we wasted time doing it the old way. You can send/recieve/drip feed to multiple machines simultaniously. If your cables are already ran to your machines it only takes the technician a couple of hours and it is up and running. No more waiting for someone to finish sending a program so you can send one to your machine just request it from the machine and it will look in a specific folder on your pc for the program and it will automatically send it.