Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Anyone familiar with this?

JAMMAN

I just noticed on my win2k systems when not logged on as "administrator" and you select a .MC8 file to open from an explorer window, you get "error in opening mill8.txt" or "error in opening draft8.txt". Logged on as administrator it isn't a problem. All users are configured as "power users". Any clues?

Did you install as administrator? Being that it is you, maybe your profile has administrative privs? When I give any user admin. privs the problem goes away. You can open MC files normally inside mastercam, just not from an explorer window. 2 seperate machines, win2kpro both, one with mill, one with draft.

Thats why it works for you,Jay; you gave full rights to the new profile. That makes it work for me too but I've recently tried to keep secretaries and trainees from changing system settings. I will try the repair option as Bullines suggested logged on as userX. It isn't really a problem, I just seem to have the need for a deeper understanding. It makes total sense to me that all software should be loaded under administrator; however with .MC8 files associated with mill.exe or draft.exe when you click on the darn thing, it should just open up like you politely asked it to, no matter who you are logged on as. Thanks for the response-

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

There is an issue I know of regarding this. What needs to be done is a key needs to be created in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/CNC Software hive. I can't remember exactly what needs to be created. I did it last week where I work because I have restricted rights on my workstation.

I have the Document at work. I'll get it on Monday.

This allows MasterCam to work for regular users (it may not enable launch by double clicking; I didn't try).

Really horrible fix:

(1) As administrator, go to the MasterCam install directory in Explorer

(2) Right click the install directory; properties; security

(3) Enable full control for that specific directory & subdirectories for regular users

v8.1 (what we have) is not really Win2k friendly. It's really meant for individual users; not multiple users sharing 1 workstation.

(Don't ask me what hoops I had to go through to get Gibbscam to work on the same workstation! Ugh!)

I have had similar dificulties and issues when installing Mastercam in an environment with multiple users on limited computers. Seems like security is tied to the user login script not the machine. When the number of users is large... the problem becomes un-manageable. Each user must login to each machine. So, 300 users and 200 possible machines to login = 60,000 logins. I have talked to MC tech support, Alladin, MC educational, and on this forum. I hope someone takes notice and finds a way to make this sort of stuff machine "static". Still looking for a way to avoid rebuilding the entire network so that Mastercam is available and working on the network.