Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

IC FOR W INSERT WRONG?

DavidB

I have a WCMT 020102, the IC for an 02 = 3.97mm.

02 can not be selected in Mastercam for a "W"

style insert, so I type in 3.97mm for IC.

Mastercam draws the tool way to big.

I drew a 3.97mm dia cicle and this should be the same size as the IC of the Insert, the Insert is way bigger.

The maths inside Mastercam must be wrong?

Any one have any ideas?

Thanks cheers.gif

Is a WCMT a positive version of a WNMG? I've never seen one but I'm guessing that's what it is...

1) Build a custom tool by just drawing the insert and phonying up a holder

2) Use a CNMG or CCMT in MC since the actual cutting edge geometry is the same as the WNMG [and hopefully your insert], maybe it is only the 'W' geometry that's messed up

C

For metric inserts, the value you enter is the cutting edge length, not the IC diameter. If you analyze your insert geometry, you will find that the cutting edge length is 3.97mm. This is still a problem with metric inserts, as tool manufacturer's seem to deviate from the ISO spec to round things off to the nearest 'even' metric or inch IC diameter. In your case, the first '02' specifies a cutting edge length of 2mm. For a 2mm cutting edge length, the resulting IC diameter is 2.92mm, not 3.97mm. We need to improve our in the future...

Chris,

the geometry is not important, I was trying to get the right size 02=3.97 IC.

The smallest insert size you can select in MC is 05.

Bob,

If the insert is smaller than 05 because that's the smallest insert in MC. Do I then put in the edge length not the IC?

This is a bugger because the tool suppliers give the IC in the books. This means the only way I can get the edge Length is to draw the insert then measure the edge length to put the value in insert size.

Can MC put smaller insert sizes into its library in the future?