Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Question for the probing gurus

somename75

I am trying to start using a renishaw mp700 probe on our new mazak 6800. I have figured out how to do simple measurements, but am looking for a way to measure a threaded hole. The hole is 3/4-16 and I was hoping to take multiple hits in a helix to figure out if the hole was near its desired size and in location. This will have to be done after a threadmill is run through it. If any of you have figured out how to do this I would really appreaciate any input.

Not sure if I understood the question but her goes...lol

I dont do any probing now but we used to hit the tapped holes with bolts first and probe the heads of the bolts for postions ...worked pretty good ...just make sure that your head and threads and "TRUE" (on center) to each other ....

I probably should have included this info in the first post. We have a pretty big tolerance if the threads get loose, because we only use the threads to install/remove the components that are getting threaded. What we can not live with though is tight threads. We use an inserted threadmill to do this, and as it sits now the operator has to check the hole with a thread gage and possible send the pallet back in if they are too tight. I would like to find a way to get the probe to do this and believe that with our +.006 -.000 tolerance on the fit it should be repeatable once dialed in. Thanks for the help guys, keep the replys coming.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Create a machining operation to cut a tight tolerance feature, force a tool change for that operation. Create an operation to probe the hole for size (shoot for nominal). If the hole is small it measures the amount it is small by, divides by 2 that value, then adds that value to the wear offset, jumps back to the Operation to re-machine it. Of course this was all done in the post processor buyt this shoudl give you something to start with.

Hope that helps.