Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2 silly noob X questions

Bruce Caulley

They must be right in front of me.....

convert to arcs

rotate around a line

Used these all the time in V9, and now that I am starting to do a bit more programming again I need to find them in X.

Bruce

***EDIT!!***

just found the convert to arcs: edit>trim>break drafting to lines.

***END EDIT****

Bruce,

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for or not.

If you select an entity and then:

XFORM->XFORM ROTATE...

you will see a blue and white circle and a square with four arrows on it approximately 1/3 the way down the dialog. If you click on the square, it will prompt you to select a point to rotate around. It will not let you select a line; however, I don't remember that option in version 9 either.

Jay

Thanks Jay,

I have seen that and use it regularly.

I must be on drugs, because I just opened up V9 and couldn't work out exactly what it was I was using?????????

I used to use this to create a toolplane from a hole axis by creating a perpindicular line and rotating 90 degrees about the line and use that geo to create my toolplane.

AM I IN THE TWIGHLIGHT ZONE? THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!!

Bruce

Bruce,

I may have a solution for you. Select your entity to rotate then XFORM->XFORM ROTATE...

Select a point on the line you wish to rotate around. When you return to the rotate dialog, click on the Gview button at the bottom of the main window (not the dialog window).

Select "Normal" and you will be prompted to "Select the normal line." Click on the line you with to rotate around and then hit enter (or click the green checkmark).

A different dialog will pop up asking you to select your view (to start, I would just click the green checkmark. If the results are not what you want, you should try the other views).

You should now be back in the ROTATE dialog and your original entity should now rotate around the line you selected. You may need to change to 2D instead of 3D to get the results you want.

Hope this is what you needed (anyone else literally dream Mastercam?)

Jay

One more addition to the above technique. I have found that you will probably also have to click on the Planes tab and select "=Gview" in order to get this to work. This should be done immediately after changing the gview to the normal of the line.

Jay