Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Z height not updating after tool edit in flowline..??

RMagnusson

I'm using a surface flowline toolpath to contour a filleted corner. We changed the tool we are using to do it, but the Z depth of the flowline WONT change. Tool is ~.5 off the part like it had the old tool in the holder. Tool length at .5" or 20" doesnt matter. Updated tool in machine group, in library, in the toolpath parameter, nothing is getting the tool down curse.gif

Am I understanding correctly that since there is no cutter comp. active in flowline then it takes the tool height from MC, not from the mill as with everything else?

If our RS-232 connection hadn't skipped a few digits in the last transmission and sent the X axis off course 2085" and snapping off the old tool, I'd just put it back in and forget about it....but I can't.

Thanks for reading my rant. Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Ryan

Haha, this is almost getting funny.

Yeah, tip comp set to tip. Backplot looks good in MC, post looks fine, tool off of the part in the mill. Part length is measured using the automatic measuring device in the mill, so its super accurate.

The old cutter I was using was tool #2 .375 ball nosed endmill 4.1975 long from the gauge line. New cutter is tool #4 .250 ball nosed endmill 3.6975 from the gauge line. And I'm, as you may have guessed, .5 off of where I want to be.

I'm thinking its time for a work-around of some sort unless someone here hits the nail on the head. I'm totally freaking stumped.

It seems that maybe I am not understanding the setting of the WCS in the mill correctly.

I just ran an op with a face mill. It too ran too high over the top of my part. It was too high by the difference between the length of the tool I used to set the Z zero depth and the length of the face mill (lengths from gauge line).

I thought that when you were setting your workpiece zero point, you took a measured tool and touched the spot where you wanted your zero and 'taught' the mill where that was. Then the mill knows where to place the tip of each tool as they are measured and recorded within the mill as well. Is this not the case? I am obviously doing something very wrong.

And thanks for helping out everyone. I know I can eventually figure this out, but as to how long it might take is anyone's guess...