Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Creating Custom Lathe Tools - V8.1.1

Ron_Roy

Good Morning All,

Can anyone give me some hints on creating custom lathe tools. I went to the ftp site and downloaded the micro boring bar .MC8 file and I was able to import it without any problems.

Now the fun part. I then modified the tool because I have to do some back cutting in a bore. Whenever I "Draw Tool" in the custom tool options it always represents the tool cutting to the "left". Even when I mirror the tool in the MC8 file and/or change the insert colour to 14 or 55, the tool always is represented in the same orientation!!!??? mad.gif

Unfortunately I have spent a little (lot) more time than I should on trying to flip the darn tool so it can back cut.

Any ideas?

Merry Christmas,

Ron biggrin.gif

Roy, I had better luck creating the geometry in the mill module and then importing it as a tool geometry file.

Look at the selections on the Geometry page of Custom tools.

The tops fields are describe the tool in an "as drawn" condition and the bottom is its

"in machine " condition.

Try this

Get an exsisting standard id grooving tool

from the tool library, click Draw then Save Geo

giving it a new name.

Open the file in Mill and modify the insert for the proper relief. (make sure to use color 55 for

insert geometry).

Import the file in the Custom lathe tool page

and choose button 7 in both the MC8 file and Turret orientation pages.

On the parameters page select Tool Clearance, then Scan Tool and accept the suggested changes.

That should create a custom back groove tool.

edit--- I think it will be neccessary to make the origin of the tool (XO, Z0) the right corner of the insert.

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: gcode ]

Thank You gcode!!!

biggrin.gif

I did as you directed and it almost worked - but I figured out that my ground holder geometry was giving MCAM fits. So I altered my holder and Voila I had a back cutting tool that works like a Charm!

Thanks again, by the way aren't you up a little early?

Ron wink.gif