Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Version X - A format question

Slick

The one thing that is for sure about Version X is that it's different. To me this isn't a problem, I don't mind, as a matter of fact, I like it more every day. But, (it seems like there is always a but!) there's one thing I don't get. And I was hoping I could get some user input to see if I should try and plead my case. (And for the record, this is a totally friendly question, no gripe at all, even though my tone may seem that way when I type this out)

Here's the deal, "ALT _".

Why would you go to the trouble of re-formatting an entire software system but hang on to a few hot keys that make using the menu bar such a chore. It's the only software I run where I have to press ALT, then wait, make sure my finger is off of it (only on certain menu functions, like Edit for example) and then press the letter I want. All because MasterCAM had to hang on to the hotkey that runs the C-Hooks, and the Hide etc etc.

So my question to you, fellow users is this. Since we all have the option of customizing so much in version 10, don't you think there should at least be a switch (or even just change it to be like every other system) to make the menu functions work like it should?

banghead.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I've adapted to the Alt_ method. Yeah it would be nice to have it work like every other windows program. I remember hearing why they chose to do it this way but for the life of me I cannot remember the reason though. headscratch.gif

It's one more key to press than V9 and previous but I'm as fast as I was with 9 or faster now. Most of my customers now use X (not that I've been pressuring them or anything biggrin.giftongue.gif

slick you are well, "slick". You are not the only one to think this. And as you already noticed if a "alt + a key" is not mapped to a hotkey it works in the menu, like alt + C. If you remove the keymap to "run user application" you can then use it to access the "create" menu. Up until a month ago I had a keymap file that eliminated any "alt + key" that was used in the menu, unfortunately my hard drive crashed or I would have been happy to send it to you. But if you take a small amount of time to do this I think you'll be happy.

HTH

edit: If you do this I think many people would appreciate it if you would put it on the ftp.

Thank you!

It actually gives you more functions.

Alt + C = Chooks

Alt _ C = Create Menu.

Twice the functionality from the same keys.

Believe me Mastercam has an unbelievable amount of control for the user interface. It's good if you want to use it. It's bad if you dont know the hot keys yet. Yea it's different, But like James said, it didn't take long to get as fast as you were in V9.

Mike Mattera

Just to be clear, you only need to remove a few hotkeys:

alt + E

alt + V

alt + C

alt + S - most will want to reassign this one

alt + T - most will want to reassign this one too

Once you are in the menu your in the menu and you just hit the key. I tried this and eventually went back to using the standard keymap because I need to work on a lot of different pc's but it was nice not having the chooks folder pop up when I was trying to go into create.

HTH

Well, I put it in the FTP/McamX directory. It's called "ALTMenu.kmp".

But, after reading Roger and Mike's post's, I'm going to have to agree. When you put it that way Mike, it does add "functionality", and I'm with you Roger, my biggest goal with the new version was to stray away from customizing. That way I can walk up to any of the pc's in our facility.

Oh well, back to the drawing board!