Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

POST PROCESSING FOR OLDER CONTROLS

Rocco

The hole I work in has a lot of, ahem, "experienced" machinery, and today an odd thing happened with a program. I have a 3D contour program that trims the periphery of a sheet metal part. The program ran perfectly on one machine, then when that machine broke down and it got switched to another machine, it started acting up. Specifically, and strangely, the finish pass tool started to make loops along the contour (cutting where it shouldn't!) even though the rough tool did not. The program got switched around to other machines, one of which worked correctly, the other did not. I examined the code and it has not been tampered with or corrupted. I know this has to do with the way older controls recognize arcs, but how can I correct this? I am using ver X, the post I used was for generic mill. I tried changing the post processor with no luck. Any ideas?

What is the code for arc type on that machine? It could be I's and J's(delta start to center), R's(radius). See if you have any old programs with arcs for that machine and see what you have. If you can't find you may need to call the manufacturer with machine serial number too see if they have it on file and can tell you. Or just do a simple program with several arcs using each of the arc types and dry run too see which works correctly.

Once you have figured out which type it is you need to change the arc output type in the arc folder of the control definition for that machine, you may need to create a new machine to do this from your old one.

The machine it doesn't work on is a Leadwell MCV 550S with 10M control, one it worked on was a Leadwell MCV-760XL with OM control, both machines ancient 3-1/2 axis mills.

In the code, T1 is good, T2 screws up, but both look close to identical other than the offset for finish. First G3 has I, J values, then all x-y-r values.

Sounds to me like you have helix output (hence the IJK output when the rest of the arcs are R's). My bet is that the 2nd machine does not support helix arcs (or needs the data for them output in a different format). Try changing the arc settings in the CD to not output helix arcs (MP will then linearize the motion).

Thanks Paul, there is a helix lead-in which gives the I, J values, and that works fine; but along the contour the finish tool starts making loops where it should be just, well, tooling along. Toolpath filter is not on.

Where can I access the arc settings you refer to?

code sample:

T2M6

G0G90G54X1.6213Y-.9688S1200M3

G43H2Z.5643

M08

G1G41D32X1.5162Y-.9011F6.

G3X1.4817Y-.9086Z.0643I-.0135J-.021

G1X1.4511Y-.9559Z.0524

G2X1.4426Y-.9676R.1249

G1X1.4067Y-1.0113Z.0416

G2X1.3969Y-1.0218R.125

G1X1.3561Y-1.0612Z.0321

and so on...

I've had trouble with an elderly machine here reading code generated from spines (to many points i think). I converted all spines to arcs and it fixed it. Just a stab in the dark. In case one of the gurus here strikes out wink.gif

Millman:

Both tools have cutter comp on. We're down a person today so everyone is in Chinese fire drill mode and I can't go back to this, but if I work it out I will post the solution. Thanks to all for their ideas and info.