Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

changing a post

Brabas

Hello.

Can anyone explain how i can modify my post to output what i want instead of what it does? Bassically in my post i need it to post an "M98P1" at the beginning of a toolchange and an "M98P2" at the end of an operation. No g30/g28 or xhome zhome, m01,t0 etc. I need it to do this at every operation. I hope i make sense. Also where do i look in a post to delete the mcodes and gcodes i dont want to use? Is it as simple as deleting them in the post file? thanks again.

Wally

Yes.

the m98p1 calls a safe index sub program that tells the machine were to index and it also puts the machine in g97,g98 and cancels the tool offset among other things.

We use that right before the tool change.

ex.

N100Z(T0101 DRILL)

N2M13S1500

N3M98P1

N4T0101

N5X0Z.1

N6G99Z-.5F.004

N7M98P2

The m98p2 is pretty much the same thing except it cancels tool offset, has M01, g40 and tells machine to go to Z.5 (right of Z0) before it go to home position.

Wally

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Well, for starters we woudl need to know what Post you are currently using.

If you are using MPLFAN, then you'll ned something vaguely resembling this;

pbld, n, "M98P1", e

toolno = t * 100 + tloffno

pbld, n, *sgcode, *toolno, e

pbld, n, "M98P2", e

if n1_gcode <> 1003, pbld, n, "M01", e

Word of advice, judging from the way you are asking questions, I would HIGHLY reccommend(sp?) you contact your Mastercam Reseller regarding your post. Post work can be a VERY dangerous activity if you do not know exactly what you are doing.

I tell my students when we cover Post Processors the following;

· Rule Number 1 always create a backup of the Post you are going to modify BEFORE you modify it!!!!! I cannot stress this enough.

· NEVER use names for your customized Post Processors that are on the Mastercam CD. Failure to heed this could result in your Post being overwritten and gone forever.

· ALWAYS make notes in the Post Documentation/Revision log at the top of the post when/if you make changes. This will aid in identifying what you have done/added/modified so that if somebody else needs to modify the post you have modified they will know what you have already done, and if your memory is like mine, you need those notes for yourself.

· Make ONE CHANGE AT A TIME!!!!!!!!!

Have fun.

Hi Wally! Yup we have a cobra 42 (that Hardinge was nice enouph to donate to our school). Actually, I used to work there. I love hardinge!!Wish they were doing better. They have about 70% of their workforce laid off now.

Anyway, I just use the mplfan. I've found that thier "safe index" sub doesn't save much time, when your travel is so small.

Anyway, sounds like James helped out your situation. I do, however, have a post that one of my industrial freinds altered, if you want it. I just have to find it on my 'puter...

Let me know!

Mike R.

Thanks Mike. and thanks James.

My coworkers dont really have faith that we can get good programs written from mastercam or any other cam for that matter. The people up above want me to prove it also. I think the best way to do it is to have a mastercam posted program look as close to the ones we write manually. A couple of guys even re-wrote a posted program i did without even trying it because they thought thier was only one way to do it.(I think its hard to teach an old dog new tricks) That is my purpose for using the M98P1, M98P2 etc.

I sent in a sample post to our reseller to modify 6 weeks ago and have not heard anything

since. I started looking around in the post looking for what does what. I still dont really know but i am getting there. I used James suggestions(thanks) and got the code i wanted, only not in the right place(close though) and i still cant get rid of the MO1's and M05's. I used the MPLFAN.

We have ten hardinge lathes and they all use this format except for one.

Mike, can i see the post your talking about?

All the help ive been getting is great.

Wally

[email protected]

Hi Wally! All the P1 is 'sposed to do is to send the turret(s) to a safe indexing position. What the MPLfan post does is output a "G0G91G28Z0" code, which simply tells the machine tool to rapid to machine "home", which is all the way back and all the way up. This is the SAFEST way to index your turret. Especially since you (as a programmer) don't necessarily know how far each tool sticks out.

If ya need me to, tomorrow I'll email you an mc8 file complete with code.

Let me know!!

(also, I understand how it is working with people who don't UNDERASTAND CAM!!!!!

PLease let me know.

Mike R.

[email protected]

A shop that do work for has 5 hardinge lathes & each uses that M98P1 safe position > If i remember right some use that G50 XnnZnn position

And some use a G50S3000 spindal clamp thingy

I modifyed the lathe EZpost that has no canned cycle support so output will always be long hand. As soon as i get back to work i will send you a copy wink.gif

With the great tips about post editing from this forum i,m gonna really gonna have some fun biggrin.gif

]

quote:

My coworkers dont really have faith that we can get good programs written from mastercam or any other cam for that matter. The people up above want me to prove it also. I think the best way to do it is to have a mastercam posted program look as close to the ones we write manually

From my personal experience ,shop floor lathe guys that program manually are afraid that a cam system will cut them out of a job.They will fight against you at every turn. Do One lathe at a time to get started Orrrr cut thru all the headaces & have your post customized for youjust to get you started smile.gif

[ 12-29-2001: Message edited by: Kenneth Potter ]