Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Swarf 5-Axis or Curve 5-Axis challenge

wildcat99

OK, this should be cake for most experienced MasterCam users!? I've been working with MasterCam now for a whole 2 months, Mill 8.1.1. We will soon be trimming parts with a 5-Axis Quintax router.

I'm still in the learning process and having trouble making a Curve 5-Axis or Swarf 5-Axis path work smoothly with our parts. On the FTP site in the MC8 folder is a simple model that I've created in SolidWorks to give an example of what I am talking about...DraftBlock.MC8.

ToolPath Group 1 is a Curve 5-Axis that would work, but the tool retracts or rotates at some arc endpoints. Also an entry/exit move would occur at these same arc endpoints in the middle of the chain. There is only 1 chain in the geometry.

ToolPath Group 2 is a Swarf 5-Axis that would work perfectly if the tool/holder were on the other side of the block.

ToolPath Group 3 is what I want, but this has to be done in 3 steps with 3 chains.

Now for the challange...Can this be done in 1 step with 1 chain without adding geometry in MasterCam or manually changing the Post file? If so, it will make my life a lot easier when creating toolpaths on our more complicated parts.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. I'm probably making this more difficult than it has to be. Thank you.

Ok here is a thought.

You say the tool wants to come out.

Does it come out to unwine if so what is the Max rotation in the "C" Axis can it do a full 360 deg or is it 180 by 180 or less.

This can be fixed by were you pick from and start and were it ends in this limit.

Other wise it wants to pull out and unwine so it can go on.

I will look at the geo in a few.

Glenn: Thank you. I now know that the order in selecting the chains is important for controlling the orientation of the holder. I probably over-simplified my example by making the front surface planar, which will not usually be the case for our parts. Anyhow, what you did with my example would work fine, but you still had to add geometry (the offset surface) to set the tool depth.

Is there a way to Swarf cut this by selecting the surface itself and one chained edge maybe? It seems to me these two pieces of existing geometry should be enough information to define the toolpath.

cadcam: I changed my settings (in the Curve 5-Axis toolpath) like you suggested. All this did was keep the tool from retracting at the end. It still retracts and rotates at some of the arc endpoints in the middle of the chain.

Thanks for all of your help so far. I'm not trying to be a pest, just trying to learn the software and understand its limitations. Maybe I can return the favor someday when I get up to speed.

Have a great New Year.

wildcat99,

Are you talking about the gcode or the backplot?

Sounds like you are saying that it wants to pull out of the part and unwine.

this would help my thoughts.

There is more that can be done if i know for sure what is happening and what you want.

so lets move forward and get you what you want and need. smile.gif

Have a great NEW YEAR

JKramer

Another way to do it without adding geometry is to use Y=Const for the plane under Tip Control and select the flat surface +.25

see DRAFTBLOCK3.MC8

These methods work assuming the surface is flat. If the surface is not flat use the Surface method under tip control and the "Stock to leave on Drive surfaces" determinds the distance from tool tip to those surface(s) This works best on parts where the tool tip would contact the sufaces (C:Mcam8MillMC8MultiAxisSWARF 5 AXIS.MC8)

quote:

Is there a way to Swarf cut this by selecting the surface itself and one chained edge maybe? It seems to me these two pieces of existing geometry should be enough information to define the toolpath.

no, you need 2 chains to define a taper, the surface would be for the tool depth

jay, if you check your backplot one of the moves is off.

Glenn are you talking about were it leans away from the surface to change transition.

But the tip stays in constant contact.

I need to play a little,

But the tool does not pull out like he was having for just one simple click.

I still follow what you are saying that you have to use the two controlling chains in the issue of tapered walls.

Ok all that needed to be done is fix one of the arcs,the one that made the tool lean away.

Bad spline not contected well.

Same thought as before but smooth now.

New snap shot-2

Hope every one is have a good time off.

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: cadcam ]

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: cadcam ]

cadcam: I'm talking about the backplot only, no G-code. Look at the backplot and you will see in the middle of the chain, the tool retracts out of the part in two places and rotates up ~90deg in one place. This is the Curve 5-Axis toolpath with the settings changed to match your .gif picture. Did you change anything else?

Glenn: I haven't had a chance to look at what you did with DraftBlock3.MC8. I'm at work now where I can't get to the FTP site due to a firewall issue that should be resolved soon. When I get home I'll look at what you did. In the meantime, I've been experimenting with the Surface method for tip control assuming the front surface is NOT flat. So far I haven't had any luck. I will probably have more questions later.

Thank you

cadcam: I opened up your file draftblockcadcam.MC8. This is what I want but with an entry/exit move at each end to ease into and out of the part.

BTW: When I first open your file, it backplots just fine. However, without changing a thing, if I hit Regen Path, the retracts are there again. Why would this be? My active Post is set to MPFAN.PST if this makes any difference. Thanks.

Your toolpath looks fine initially now, but when I Regen Path (without changing a thing) it adds 3 entry/exit moves in the middle of the chain.

As to why I did the Regen Path: Originally I tried to add the entry exit moves myself to your first part without success. So I unchecked the entry/exit box, hit Regen Path to get it back to where you had it and discovered the retracts were there again. There are several reasons I may need to Regen anyway: change tool, change depth etc. If the retracts come back, it doesn't help me out on this end.

I don't know what you're doing on that end to remove the retracts, etc but please let me know so I can learn the software. I'm not trying to get a "quick fix" so we can trim this part....we don't even have a router yet.

Anyway, I took your part, hit Regen Path, saved it as draftblockcadcam2.MC8 and e-mailed it back. Maybe this will help you understand what it is doing. Do I have something set up different than you have? Or are we running different versions of MasterCam? Or do I need a C-Hook? Please keep in mind that I'm open to any other methods of doing this if there is a better way.

Thanks for your help. I guess I haven't seen the answer that I'm looking for yet.