Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How much time spent in CAM vs. CAD side of X

Chris Rizzo

I voted 75/25, all of mu desgining and drawing is done in SW but techinally curves boundaries and such are still CAD functions. Thus the 25% in reality it's probably closer to 10-15%

It must be nice to be able to do all your design work etc in something like Pro or Solidworks. I know how to use both, but neither is up to designing tools around customer data that comes in from every system known to mankind, in iges half the time, and native, Catia, UG, etc. the rest of the time.

We do prototype formed parts, deep draws, etc. from part to print in 10 days or less, and I have found nothing better than Mastercam to design the tools in, so we can design and hit the cnc machines in a day or two. Between wireframe, and moldplus for runoff, etc. it has all the tools we need.

I do all of my fixtures and tooling all in SW. When I import I import the complete setup.

Solidworks will pull I "think" all of the file formats mentioned above.

I can not imagine using MC to design anything any longer. As good as it's gotten and it has improved greatly it is still a weaker cousinn compared to other parametric design packagaes.