Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

how to machine STL

Surface

I have an STL file which I would like to machine. Adding surfaces to each prism creates a huge file. Re-creating the part is not easy. I don't have the money for a surfacer-program.

V7 had a C-hook, stlmch72, which crashes my computer.

Any sugestions.

In V8.1 and later, If you go to Toolpaths>Surface> there are choices of surf/solid and Stl file. From here you can have any combination of surfs solids stl file. If you just have stl, then you can turn off surfs and you specify where the stl file is on your pc, Mastercam will allow you to view, and move it around, then you go in toolpath parameters just as with surfs. 8.1 is a free update if you have 8, and 8.1.1 is the latest.

Surface,

You should have received the V8.0 to V8.1 update disk when it was released a year ago. You are in our area so if you can't find the disk, send me an e-mail and I can send you a V8.1.1 system disk, updating you to the latest version of Mcam in one shot. Then you can also download the rest of the patches from this website, or our website at http://www.services4automation.com/ and get the added surface machining features. cool.gifsmile.gif

James,

Thank you for including the link in the post for the update patches. These will help once V8.0 has been updated to V8.1 or V8.1.1. I still don't know how to do some things in this Forum, like including links to other ares of the same website. The patches for updating V8.0 to V8.1 are no longer available on any site I'm aware of. If you have information where anyone can get those patch files, or a disk, perhaps that would also be of use. smile.gif

Peter do you know the release date of the patchs from 8.0 to 8.1 i am going thru all the updates and patchs.

I have one file the apps one on the FTP under patchs this is dated 4-14-2001.

Peter please look at the files in the patch folder on the FTP.

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: cadcam ]

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: cadcam ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

The "patch " from 8.0 to 8.1 is an install CD as gstephens stated. I have just about all the patches and I could not find an 8.0 to 8.1.

SOME, dealers Mail out CD's to current users as does CNC Software, you may occasionally need to ask for one, but the dealers are usually more than happy to get one to you one way or another.

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: James Meyette ]