Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surface help

spade117

Ok guys and gals, this is an area that I don't have a lot of experience with. I have loaded a part to the ftp site called spade-part.mcx in the mcx folder. If anyone can take a look at it and see if there is a more efficient way to cut the surface that I have 2 different toolpaths in there now for. I made the surface color 11(light blue).

I like the surface toolpath that I have there now, but I would like to be able to change the direction to a left to right motion instead of up and down motion. I haven't been able to figure out how to do that. This part will be machined on a horizontal, so I do have the option of rotation.

If I have left out any details that will help, feel free to post here or e-mail me at [email protected]

You could change the machining angle to get the direction that you want, but I think it looks good just like you've got it. You'll get a better finish cutting it the way you are. Staying perpendicular to the surface typically gives a better finish. Cutting across as opposed to along, if I had to put it in wireframe toolpath terms. smile.gif

Thad

mornin spade,

try untrimming the drive surface for starters, using the 'keep original' option.

then a nice option for this would be a flowline toolpath which would let you cut along or across the surface. also, a slightly smaller tool may cut a little cleaner as it appears the tool and part rads are very close to being the same.

i realized that as i was posting, so i put it together and sent it to ya. check out the parameters page for adjustments. and in the ops manager, in the box where you select the drive surface, there is an icon down lower that looks like a wave. click that for the controls on how the suface is being cut.

edit: the icon is in 'geometry-flowline data'.

quote:

I tried changing the machining angle from 0,45,90,180....it didn't show much difference in the way the cutter path performed.

I didn't notice, but as bellup mentioned (and it's a great point) is that your tool doesn't do much moving since it's so close to the rad size. Try a smaller cutter to get more tool movement and then you'll see the difference in cutting angles better.

Thad

bellyup- that was exactly what I was trying to do. It looks like you created a new surface over the existing one to use for the toolpath, which is more square. I tried extending the surface I had, but it didn't seem to help much.

Thanks to both Thad and bellyup for the assistance. I learned something new.

create/surface/untrim surfaces. (with options for keeping or deleting the original)

it's common for many surfaces to be 'trimmed' when you import geometry. in this case the rad was a trimmed surface, which is why you could not extend it. i typically untrim some surfaces for what i do, this job being a good example for some of the reasons why.