Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Programing help?

Ol Slow Hands

Here is a project I have been tasked with...

Background -

We make 100's of parts from the same sheet stock (24" x 48"). OD shape is varied, like a jigsaw puzzle. Typical program requires 2 or 3 different tools.

Objective -

Move to a Kan-Ban system, constantly re-filling up the parts bin when the min. qty is reached. So we have to be able to call up any number of parts, nest them together and run them off.

Problems -

Customer does not want approved program source code changes.

Management does not want repetive tool changes, which will slow the process down.

I was thinking we could use subprograms to call up the various parts, using different offsets to resaonably nest them onto the sheet. But this method will cost me lots of tool changes.

Any ideas as to how I could do this effeciently?

We program on MCX and are making parts on a 5-axis Thermwood Router.

Thanks in advance...

Set-Up some template drawings in Mastercam for each part. Merge dwgs and do toolpaths. Use colors for each tool. I do this once a week here. I use blue where I need a 5/16" tool, green where I need a 3/8", etc... I don't know how you deal wth you customer not wanting the source code changed. If your using a Thermwood 5-axis your lucky to get it to cut 2 parts alike.

Travis

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, we can't do it using your method. These parts are for a customer in the defense industry. The quality program only allows us to run proven program parts... meaning we can't change the nc code for a part unless there is a rev change, and then the parts have to undergo a new FAI. It's a royal pain...

RE: the Thermwood... it's not what I would have speced... but that's I've to work with... Fortunately we have +.080"/-.000" tolerance on the OD geometry. But we are holding +/-.001 on taper thickness !!!

If your control has the capabilities, you should be able to construct somewhat simple loops at the end of each tool to write, and rewrite to the offset table until you get the number of parts you desire.

You could have a number of simple variables at the beginning of the program to define the offset distance, number of x and y steps, then do the looping after each tool is complete to test if it has ran enough parts in order to avoid tool changes.

This is assuming you are only trying to run one TYPE of part at a time and not nesting a whole bunch of different parts at the same time.

If you were trying to run different parts, you could possibly write subprograms to call individual tools for each type of part, but then the part would have multiple programs(1 for each tool) and it could get really messy. Too messy for me to imagine in fact.

Of the controls I have ran, I know Fanuc and Acramatic 950 and up have this capability. It just takes a little study and testing in order to figure out the language and variable format.

MLS

OK I may not have alot of luck with the Thermwood but I have did a little of this type of work. If you want to do this you will first need to wite new programs for each part and get them approved. Write all them incrementally from an absolute position. Creat a point and line for reference in each drawing. Make each tool path a seperate program. Then you can nest and rotate in Mcam and call sub programs Here is a sample how I would do it.

( MAIN PROGRAM )

T01 M06

S18000 M03

G00 X0 Y0

call sub program - part # 1 - tool # 1

G00 X10. Y0

call sub program - part # 2 - tool # 1

G00 X15. Y0

call sub program - part # 3 - tool # 1

G00 Z UP

M05

( --------- )

T02 M06

S18000 M03

G00 X0 Y0

call sub program - part # 1 - tool # 2

G00 X10. Y0

call sub program - part # 2 - tool # 2

G00 X15. Y0

call sub program - part # 3 - tool # 2

G00 Z UP

M05

etc.

M30( END MAIN PROGRAM)

( PART # 1 - TOOL # 1 - sub program)

( ROT = 90 )- SET ROTATION HERE

G91

G01 Z-###

G1,G2,G3,

etc.

G90

Z UP

( ROT = 0 ) - CANCEL ROTATION

M99

To do this straight out of MCAM you could set up custom drill cycles and use Misc vairables for rotation. This would require a nifty thrifty post or you could post drill points and do a little hand editing. I hope I have given you enough infro and maybe helped you in some way, if not this place is full of people that can. I am not sure of the code for rotation on a Twood or if it is an option you have? I never have used rotation except on Fanuc and Osia Controlls.