Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How do I use an STL file for surface recut

Frank

Hi all, I know somebody here can help me. What I have is a round, hub like part, that needs pocket machining on a mill, The easy part is I use the lathe to remove most of the stock, and finish what it can. My problem is when I try to machine it on a mill, using surface pocket I cut a lot of air. I thought there is someway I can either use the surface I created from the lathe work, and somehow let the mill know it's there. Or run a mill toolpath on the lathe work and then somehow use recut. I hope I'm making sense.

Thank you,

Frank

"take it easy, and if it's easy take it twice" biggrin.gif

I may have a solution if you are using a version of Mill that has the highfeed thing in it. I can't remember exactly what it's called. It was a C-hook in version 7 then turned into a button on the operation manager in version 8.

You can create some operations in mill that would cut exactly what the lathe already cut. 2-d countours, maybe a swept or two, whatever. You don't have to actually run them but you can tell the highfeed thing that you already ran them. It will then know that material is gone. It may depend on some settings in there, but you should be able to get it to speed itself up a ton when it is cutting air, then slow back down to a normal speed when it's not.

It won't eliminate the air cutting movements but it should speed them up a bit.

I have only used the highfeed thing a few times. Maybe someone else who has used it more can help with the settings inside there.

Cody

Thanks for responses. But I had another project a long time ago. And someone on this board recommended running a toolpath on the lathe work, and then running a recut or something else on the 3d surface to machine what the first tool didn't get. Then after posting delete the first tool. The problem is I can't find the recut, or leftover button. What I did was created a surface out of the lathe toolpath, brought it on a different level into mill, and machined it. Now I turn off the lathe surface and turn on the mill surface, and now what ??

Thanks again for the replies,

Frank

Hi Frank

This file will not be appeased by the leftover

options . I made an attempt to put a temp cut

with a temp tool to I D the lath cuts,but still I

didn't pickup much time . The area's that cut

air or take a long time to cut will only be part

of air cut problem ,it's the shape of the part

with it's fillets that will need kellaring 3ax

or 5ax that add the most time.

So this is what I might do

Toolpaths/surface/rough/pocket/bla bla bla

(pick your own tool size, c.r., steps, and so on)

I put your file back on the FTP with my SB at the

end of your original file name.

Scott

biggrin.gif Thank you for the files. Both where close to how I programmed it.......it assures me that I am doing it right. I just thought there was another way to let mastercam know exactly where the stock was. I did notice that both of you used a bullnosed end mill. Like I said I don't do a lot of 3d work......so normally I have used ballnose. Should I use bullnose to rough the pocket, and ballnose to finish, or is bullnose good for both ? Again thanks for spending your own time on this.

Is this a great board or what ?

Frank

Hi Frank

You probably have worked this problem out by now, but there is a way to reduce the amount of 'air' time on the part in question and keeping it rather simple.

If you are using surface/rough/pocket select your tool to mill (I would use a bullnose), then go into surface parameters and set to boundaries and amount of stock to leave, then go into rough pocket parameters, there you will see a check box for depth of cuts go in and set the adjustment to top cut to just above where you reguire to start cutting.

I have done this and will put it on the ftp. site if you need to look at it (although I did convert it to metric - typical european)so just let me know if you need a look.