Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surfacing problem

Jimic

I am having problem to surface a .500 Rad around a inside cavity 49 x 10" size with .25" rad corner. The distand between the island and the wall cavity is .600" width. So, I try to save time by using a large ballnose, 1/2" dia then using a 3/16' ball to profile the corners. But it came out badly in the corners. Apparently, the two tools don't bland in smoothly.I could feel a step.

Do people usually using two different tools for surfcaing in the same surface level ?

Which is better Using finish flowline or parallel for this application?

Usimg MCamx level 2 !!!

material is 4140 and using carbide ballnose. I just finish without roughing. stepover .020"

How can i make it better. My boss is blaming the programmer not the operator for the bad finish.

What the "bleep" do you know? Please share with me.

Have a good day guys.

Jimic,

I try to avoid tool blending, if it will be an issue, I finish with the same tool wherever I can.

Technically, if the program doesn't create what it's supposed to at cycle start, it is the programmers fault.

smile.gif

Least that's what they tell me ALL the time

Jimic,

Could it be the Level of software you're using? Mill Level 2 doesn't allow you to machine more than one surface at a time with the same tool. There is one or two exceptions but none of the Finish toolpaths are included. Having a Mill Level 3 would allow you to program a toolpath for all surfaces with one tool. This helps to eliminate what you're experiencing with a mismatch in the corner blend. With the same tool finishing all the surfaces involved, the blend will not be mismatched. This doesn't help your current situation. Maybe get in touch with your reseller to see if they can help you program the current job and supply you with the MCX so you can post it out for your machine. Then consider what the advantages would be if you had a higher level of the software. HTH cheers.gif

quote:

I am having problem to surface a .500 Rad around a inside cavity 49 x 10" size with .25" rad corner

I am curious why you are using a 3/16 ballnose to finish this part if there is a .25 corner rad, I would have to see the part to know what pass to use, I use flowline quite a bit, and high speed finish raster works well also. you may need a pencil tool path to get a better finish on the outside edges, I also use bullnose endmills as much as possible to finish my surfaces. they work alot better then a ballnose depending on the surface shape.