Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hardinge Lathe "Safe Retract" macro

Hello,

I am trying to set up a post for a customer that has a late model Hardinge 6/45 Lathe. Single spindle w/ live tooling. Everything looks pretty basic to me but Hardinge uses a "Safe Retract" Macro for the Tool Change.

Sample code:

:1200(LOP096H08)

( HARDINGE TALENT 3-AXIS )

( 7-11-2006 )

G10P0Z-10.

#501=12.0(X AXIS SAFE INDEX)

#502=6.0(Z AXIS SAFE INDEX)

G0G20G40G80

N999(LOOP RETURN)

M98P1

M1

N1( FACE1 )

( T101OD-80-0156 )

T0101

G99M8

The customer plans on doing all of their programming in Mastercam X MR2. We are just wondering if this is really going to be an advantage or just a Hindrance. The post can be done either way so that is not the real issue.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mike

[ 08-19-2006, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Michael Whitten ]

Michael,

To my way of thinking, I would rather maintain all the control through Mastercam and avoid the macro. Just better for the system to always know where the tool actually is at.

Mike,

I have 2 Hardinge CNC lathes and we run a custom macro [our #9010] in both that just requires you to have the tool outside of the boundary of the part. Their 2 macros for ID and OD tools are a pain in the a$$, so we just use a Z axis retraction ref point [typically .250 in front] on each toolpath and then G9010 is hardcoded in the post where the ref return used to be. Personally I am not high on stopping the spindle, shutting the coolant off, etc, after each tool but that's the protocol that was established here before my tenure so that's how we do it.

C

We hard coded the M98P1 to be at the top of an operation and end every operation with an M98P2 regardless of it being OD or ID. Also We just use a G53 position in O999 to move to a safe index position. We like this because we then dont even have to care about approach,retract or index position in mastercam.