Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

I'm in Okuma Hell....

jmjftw

I just started at a new job and I get the Okuma vertical with a 5020M control.

WTF....No home position? No G54 fixture offsets

What's up with the H numbers? Is the G15 H* used for the fixture offset and the other H value used for tool lengths? It feels like it wants to be programed incrementally or in pieces with a fixture offset for each tool.

What's up with the gage length? How do you set Z zero, with one of the tools?

I'm sweating bullets....

Okuma uses a different interpretation of Gcode from Fanuc. Personally I've always hated the way they setup their machines. That being said I have run and written posts for them. This will get you started:

Okuma uses G15 H## for its work offsets,

G56 H## for its tool length offsets,

and G41/42 D## for its diameter cutter comp.

The Machine Home command is G30 X,Y,Z, BUT!! Z 0.0 is with the gage line of the spindle 4.0" (or something like that) off of the machine table.

eek.gif

When you send the spindle to machine home it plunges toward the table in Z. Most programmers that I know use a retract of G30 Z30.0 (or something like that). BE CAREFUL!!

As far as setting offsets are concerned, I'm familiar with the older style of machine control. You will want to get some help from the Okuma guru's in here. The way we used to do it was to jog the machine to the Z offset location, go to the machine coordinates display page, write the number down and then enter it in the tool offsets page.

Are you programming for this machine or just running it?

HTH,

Colin Gilchrist

The Boeing Company

MR2 and Beta test site

Evening jmjft

You will find that G15 H* addresses the work offset...H is the number of offsets you can use up to how many the machine can hold

G56 H* is used for the length offset

where as the H is for the tool number for up to how many the machine can hold in its parameters

If you have a base tool ie a wiggler in the the machine ...define that as number one tool and set that to zero in the tool offset ....look for a tool in the height offset directory first to find out if one is allready there

A couple things about Okuma's. They don't forget where they are even if you shut the off, unplug them move the ball screw by hand. The machine still nows where it is. When you turn the machine on you will never have to home it. You can not send it in to an over travel, the machine will just stop when it get to the limit, no alarm it just stops. So i have always just sent the Z to Z50. at the end of the program. I have never sent it to a home postion. there was never a need.

Okuma is a very nice machine. Things will start making sence just give it alittle time.

G30 P1 will send spindle to tool change position.

Our warm up programs for 5020 and U100 controls include going to preset positions for G30 P7 and G30 P8. I dont remember off the top of my head where you go to calibrate these positions.

Set your zero set page for z with reference tool, "calibrate" the other tools on tool data page.

I can understand your confusion, until about 2 years ago we had all okuma's then miltronics showed up. Now we have a new mazak set up and ready to learn how it wworks.

Good Luck

David